mystery water

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Savinell

There seems to be a leak in my 1996 C34 (hull 1312).  After a rain (or perhaps a snow), I find a puddle of water inside the compartment below the starboard settee (after corner near boat center line).  I observed this before and thought it might be coming from the main starboard chain plate.  Last week I re caulked the chain plate, but found water again this week (snowed, then melted, earlier this week).  I could not find any evidence of drips, water marks, etc by or near the chain plate, the hatch window near and above the settee, or anywhere else above the settee.  (The cushions are removed and the settee board has been removed).  There was no water in the bilge nor anywhere else I could see.  The only way I can see that water can enter the settee compartment is from dripping above, or somehow from the hull into the top of the compartment along the back.

I replaced the settee board so the next time it rain hards I should be able to see if water drips from above, or coming from within the compartment.

Any ideas?

Bob S.

Roc

Bob, Is your boat in the water or on the hard??  When my boat is on the hard, I notice water that collects inside the settee storage areas, sometimes, but not all the time.  I've come to the conclusion that it is the moist air that condenses due to the temperature difference between inside and outside the hull.  I've had water collect in that exact area that you mention.  Also, the forward storage area below the port side settee (forward of the holding tank) and under the v-berth (where my knot and depth transducer are mounted).   I tend to see this as spring approaches when there might be warm days followed by cold nights.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ted Pounds

Interesting.  Bob, I've had water collect in the exact same  spot every year Ive owned the boat.  It only collects when the boat is laid up on the hard.  It's only a cup or two and I mop it up before launch with a towel.  It never shows up when I'm in the water so I don't worry about it.  I suppose snow may be a factor in how it gets there, but that's only a WAG.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jim Price

Recently, I chased a leak (found in reefer cooling pump line fitting) that was trickle down into bilge by using a water soluble color marker.  Made couple of lines on hull when dry and checked later for break in the line.  Helped me back track to a fitting behind starboard water tank that was causing leak to pass under water tank.  Simple tool if done close to time that you get leaks.  Also used when first got the boat to confirm all that water in the bilge after heavy rain was indeed coming down inside of mast, not from other places.   :thumb:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

PAUL T.

Speaking of mystery water, I pulled out the middle drawer in the v berth and discovered 3 inches of water trapped in the compartment. The water was unable to get to the bilge. The water seems to be coming from the anchor locker, I have not found out where the leak is yet. I've never heard of this problem on the website so check your drawers out there.........PAUL

Mike Smith

Paul -

That sounds like the forward hatch is leaking.  I don't see how the water could get into the drawer any other way.

Mike

PAUL T.

I guess I wasn't very clear as to where the water was. The water was not in the drawer it was in the space below the drawer. This space accumulates water when I hose down the anchor locker.

Mike Smith

Yikes!  Not good.  The water in the anchor locker should drain through a through hull fitting located a few inches above the waterline on the starboard bow.  Sounds like the clamps on the hose running from the bottom of the anchor locker to the through hull fitting could be loose or the hose cracked. I was in that space this weekend on Breezer and it is a tight fit to work down there.  Breezer has a drain hole to the bilge at the deepest part of the compartment - it drains the water accumulated when you pull the knotmeter plug for cleaning.  On some boats this hole has been plugged for some reason.  I would unplug it if possible.

Mike

Roc

Inside my anchor locker is an access port that gives accessibility to the windlass.  The trim ring was not bedded correctly from the factory, so I was getting water into the v-berth.  If you have such an access port in your anchor locker, you might want to check that.  Another area could be the switch for the windlass.  That may not be bedded correctly either.  Also, my locker has a cleat in the center.  If you do too, you might want to see if that needs re-bedding.  Finally, there is the forward fresh water tank deck fill.  That is also contained inside my anchor locker and that might be leaking.  So, there are a number of areas where water can be coming from your anchor locker.....
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

John Gardner

I keep my boat on the hard for winter, and three years ago I noticed that two of the port chain plates leaked at the end of winter when the snow and ice had gone and the sun began to warm up.  They didn't seem to leak in the rain.  I subsequently dismantled them one at a time (completely - down to the rectangular hole through the deck), and resealed them.  This year I noticed the same thing again.  I did a quick job immediately by taking the rectangular deck plates off and re-installing them with plenty of sealant.  I continued to get water dripping from them on the inside, apparently from residual water forced out of the joint by the heat of the sun.  (It's a bit perverse - no leaks when it rains - only when the weather is dry and sunny during spring!)

I'd prefer not to think so, but I begin to wonder if the water is getting in round the port(s) above the deck fitting, or even where the trim strip is screwed to the deckhouse above the ports.  Anybody got any thoughts on this?

People with water collecting on or in the seats may have a similar problem.

Water below the seats may come from the mast boot.  I used to have water come in there, across the table and to the floor.  Spartite has cured that problem.
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

Stu Jackson

John

Perverse it seems to be!  Rebedding the chainplates is always a good idea and it seems that you've done that thoroughly, although I may have misread one stretch where you just pulled the rectangular plates up and redid just those?

With your hull #, you should have Lewmar ports.  A search on Lewmar brings up a lot of discussion of leaking, from what I can understand (not having them, but the old Becksons) the leaks come from either the trim ring, as you suspect, or from the connection between the frames and the lights.  There's been a lot on that recently, so if you scroll down this main screen and back a few you may see them, or may have already read them.  Lots of good ideas there.

I would discount the eyebrow issue, as I understand they are only screwed to the cabintop, unless Paco drilled straight through, in which case you'd see that.

The only other thing I can think of is to use the old "bilge detective" idea:  get some water soluble marker and trace around where you think it's coming in.  Any good degreaser/cleaner should help you clean up inside.  :)

Water across the table, with those of us with keel stepped masts, is a recurring problem, and we get water there regularly, anytime we sail on SF Bay and play submarine!  It rolls from point where the mast meets the table and rolls aft and to starboard, landing on the cushion or on the sole.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Robert Savinell

Thanks all for your thoughts.  Lots of them, but I don't think I am much closer to understanding the source of the problem.  I will try flooding the outside with a hose to see if I can find the leak.  In the meantime, I am off to Rome and will return in a week.  Then I launch.

bob