Bow cleats

Previous topic - Next topic

jpaulroberts

How do people usually configure a new set of bow chocks and cleats for mooring pennants? I think I would put a chock on either side of the bow just behind the forward lifeline stanchions and then I would put two deck cleats, one on either side just inside the toe rail near the aft set of bow pulpit stanchions. Any thoughts?

Stu Jackson

Jerry

In my opinion chocks do nothing but create chafe.  Why install four pieces of hardware when two will do?

While our earlier C34s did not come with more than the one single cleat at the bow, many of us have added cleats to the sides.  Access, while limited, is through the Beckson plate in the anchor locker.  Some have added another Beckson plate to gain better access.  This is included in your CD-ROM and the website FAQs and Projects.

Here's one: http://www.c34ia.org/projects/projects-extra-bow-cleats.html

Some have also added rub strakes at the edge of the deck where the lines go overboard from the (new) cleats to keep the fiberglass intact from any potential rubbing of lines.

I added one cleat on the port side and use the center cleat for the starboard side and for anchoring.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jpaulroberts

Thanks Stu. My old Pearson Triton had one large center cleat and a chock on each side.

Ron Hill

Jerry : As you can see I use the center cleat at home port or when anchoring.  
In a transit slip I use the side cleats or when I need additional lines (storms/hurricanes).  Also nice to have an extra cleat when you use 2 anchors.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Fitch

If you end up using to two bow cleats, I recommend the Whitecap 6111 cleat available from Defender (their number 000410).  They are taller than the cleats that came on my boat and give a lot more clearance above the toe rail and front stanchion.  It was no easy job to pull the front bulkhead in the V-berth and squeeze my arm up along the anchor locker.  I don't know how many times I dropped nuts and washers into the bilge.  Catalina puts 2 small backing plates on each cleat (one front, one back).  Big washers might be just as effective.

Jim Fitch

Ron Hill

FYI : Catalina went to bow cleats on either side in 1989 and eliminated the single center cleat (of the 86,87 and 88 models).
I cut an extra Beckson port into the port side of the anchor well so I could put on the port side cleat on my 1988.  That port also allowed me to mount a waterproof 12V source  in the anchor well for my anchor washer/ spot light plug in.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Mark Van Bunnen

Ron,

I have always been impressed by the things that you have done to your boat.  Can you tell me where you got the cleat, and the cost.  I called Catalina and they said that they only show a 10" cleat.  I thought that I would go with your suggestion on an 8" cleat.  Thanks!

Ron Hill

Mark : I believe I got those cleats at Boat US about 16+ years ago.  You"ll just have to look in the marine catalogs and local chandeliers.  
Yes, I'd get a 7 or 8" cleat.  :?:
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Mark,

I got mine at Defender.  And the 8" is definitely the way to go.  I forget the brand, but they matched the stern cleats exactly.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Fuzzy

Jerry:
Last year I modified my bow anchor rollers so eliminated the center
cleat and added two cleats at each side of the bow. A great improvement.
Stu is correct, chocks only create chafe.  If I remember correctly,
Catalina Direct (www.catalinadirect.com) has the same cleats that are
on your C34.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Ron Hill

Larry : You might reconsider and reinstall that center bow cleat - if you can.  If you had looked at the projects page, you would have seen that I added a bow roller and still kept the center cleat.  
I find that the center cleat is the strongest bow cleat and still use it to tie off to it when single anchoring, double anchoring and for hurricanes!!  :cry:
Ron, Apache #788

Fuzzy

Ron:
Thanks for the suggestion on leaving the center bow cleat.
In my case however, the new bow roller setup does not leave room
to leave it so we're down to the two bow cleats.
Thanks, Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475