Leaking Port Lights - 1991 Lewmar

Previous topic - Next topic

lmccaw

I have a 91' with the standard Lewmar lights which are leaking. Has anyone had experiencing replacing the gaskets to solve this problem? Any solution ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Lee

rirvine

Lee:

Having just been through this lot, my advice is to find out exactly where the water is coming in before you do anything. In my case the water was getting into the frame of the port and coming out through an unused screw hole behind the aft latch.  I found this only after replace the gaskets and reseating the frame.  I never found out how the water was getting into the frame – just sealed up the unused screw hole.

Good luck,  Ray

Jim Price

I agree you have to first determine what is leaking.  Mine were leaking a couple of years back and I found the only problem was I needed to replace the O-rings on the latch handles.  The handles can be adjusted to close tighter but over the years, the O-rings become compressed and don't do anything.  Once replaced, I had to adjust handles to not over tighten and then slight adjustment for first few uses as rings got seated.  Not a single drop since.  Got them from McMaster-Carr at their web site http://www.mcmaster.com/ .  Look for the round O-rings 2mm X 12mm stock number   9262K176  for $7.70.  You get 100 so you can afford to drop a few.  I think that is the right size - I am not near home to look at package - if I could find it.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

John Langford

Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

dpenz

Another place the port lights can leak is at the joints in the aluminum frame at the horizontal centerline.  There is a plastic or rubber filler in the joint that evidently can dry out and shrink, causing a leak.  Daub a tiny bit of silicone sealant on the joint to fix it.

If it turns out that you need to replace the gaskets, you need to find out if you have "old style" or "new style" port lights.  The old style gasket is smaller in cross section, the new style larger.  My 1988 C34 #629 uses the old style.  Unfortunately a couple of years ago I bought a set of gaskets that turned out to be the new style.  I still have these and will sell them at great discount, if you (or anybody else) needs them.

captran

I'm still wrestling with this and am still not sure of the size.  Every time I start to call Catalina I get busy at work, so I am not sure.  I know it is not size 0, so I am thinking size 1.  but this was a response to clarify old vs new.
this, from fisheries.com in Seattle:
"I think you have the standard ports as the Atlantic do not open. I
don't see a 5 x 12 listed, the closest I come is 6 15/16 X 12 for an
overall Size. As for if it is a (old) Standard or a (new) standard a simple
date will be what is used to determine that. the (old)s were produced
between 1982-98 and the (new)s were produced between 1997-now. Other identifiers to determine what range you have the (old)s had plastic handles that turned like keys to close and the (new)s had plastic handles that pushed to close, the other identifier is that the (old)s would click
through a series of positions at which it will stay open.

With that said the seal number for a size 0 port light is 19898500 (from
Lewmar) it is in stock here at fisheries and sells for $10.80

Hope this info helps

so I got the 0 and it is too small.  The instructions call for silicone to seat the new gasket.  Looks like good directions on that.  Please post if you get confirmation on size.

thanks

Randy
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

captran

I spoke with Bob Davidson  of Lewmar-  714 838 1112.  He says port size is most likely a "size 1".  Said an additional identifier is the fact that the "1" has two hinges.  I also asked him about the leakage problem.  He said take out the black plastic pieces and if there appears to be some water inside, in the area of the screws and block, he suggests getting a good penetrating sealant and making sure the outside frame seams are covered.  He also suggests while you have the plastic piece-locking mechanism off, that you sand a little of the plastic off on the window frame side of the block where it touches the frame.  He said that makes the window fit alittle tighter and hence helps with leakage around the gasket.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa