Black Dog Props

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Roc : Here's a copy of the message to you that bounced:

Roc : Guess that Black Dog must have enough business from the Big Power Boat BENT Props, so they don't need us anymore.  Good info to know, but too bad as they do a better job than a regular Prop Shop.  Yes, I had mine done there and wrote a Mainsheet article on BlackDog.  I'm sure that you'll be happy with the job that they did.  Hope that you repitched yours up from 9" (if you have a 3 bladed).  I repitched mine to 11" with my 23hp engine - and glad that I did.

As far as a block of wood between the prop and the hull - that's crazy as you don't need to put the prop on that tight and you could easily bend a blade!!!  
I hold one of the blades in one hand and snug the castellated nut on with a wrench until it's tight and the hole line up with one of the slots in the nut head.  Then insert the cotter key cutting one leg short and bending the other leg over in a loop.  Just make sure that you've lined the prop shaft and the inside of the prop with water proof/resistant grease.  
That way the prop will slide up in the keyway when you tighten the nut and it'll be easy to remove at some future date(without a prop puller!!).    Ron

-------- Original Message -----
To: (1) Ron & Phyllis Hill  
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 2:52 PM
Subject: Black Dog Prop suggestion

Hello Ron,
I just got my propeller back from Black Dog propeller.  By the way, did you know that they don't do small propellers anymore.  They did mine out of courtesy since they had some extra time.  They said it's been over three years since they did a propeller that small..........

Anyway, they suggest not using a wood block to jam between the hull and blade when tightening the nut.  I think you had your prop done by Black Dog, and if so, what did you do to tighten up the nut with enough torque??  Did you use a wood block??

Thanks for the advice.

Take care,
Roc-
Ron, Apache #788