Replacing Starboard Water Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Has anyone replaced the starboard water tank?  I am considering replacing mine on Breezer, an '88 Mark I, with a smaller version and installing four T105s in a battery box in the area outboard of the existing battery box, which now contains the starboard water tank.  I need a space 18" square and 10/ 7/8+ high and that space seems to fit the bill -  if the tank has a rectangular base at that point and is not curved to fit the contour of the hull.  The batteries would be close to the existing bank and the inverter. Interestingly, each battery weighs 62 lbs, about the same as a cubic foot of water, so with the new battery box taking up about 3.24 cu ft, I will actually be losing a little weight to starboard with four batteries.  A new, smaller tank/bladder would be installed forward of the new battery box.  I have searched the Discussion Board and Projects page with no success.

Thanks for any input,
Mike

Stu Jackson

Mike

I don't recall this coming up before.

Peggie Hall highly recommends Ronco tanks.  I'd try their website and see what they have available for tanks before using a bladder tank, which has to be secured.  They also do custom tanks.

Don't understand the reason for the change, since the battery box handles four golf carts so perfectly.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

Stu -

I'm adding a dedicated bank for some inverter-driven appliances.  The area is the closest I can find to the existing bank and the inverter. Also, the batteries would be low and close to the center of the boat, fore and aft. Another location would be to replace the holding tank.

Mike

Stu Jackson

I understand.  Only reservation I have is the use of "dedicated."  Why not just make the entire house bank bigger?

Reference to Calder's  recommendation, that I've posted a few times, of not dedicating banks, but getting longer battery life out of larger banks is the ninth post down at

http://www.c34.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=973&highlight=calder&sid=e4b2a5aab4eaef001ad0db0a309a40e8

Keep the holding tank, you may need it.   :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

Stu -

You are right, one monster electrical bank is best!  By dedicated bank I meant like in all the bucks in the bank I have dedicated to this project!!

Mike