Vinyl flooring in galley

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

Well, once again Catalina Yachts  helped  less than I had hoped...I guess I can't blame them for wanting to make a profit.  I called and they did say that the flooring is called "loin coin", which encouraged me.  When I asked the name of the manufacturer, they said they don't release that information.  I can buy it from Catalina at $45.00 a square yard.   They said they use something else in the newer models, but wouldn't say what. I probably would have gone ahead and ordered it had I had the measurements with me, price gouging and all.  I would be interested in what others have on their boats and if anyone has ever replaced the flooring with something else.  The edges of my old floor covering curled up from the moisture of Francis.  The plywood flooring underneath looks solid.  I may be stuck forking over the 200 bucks or so for the loin coin.  I did a search and turned up nothing.  Any ideas?  thanks

Randy
Voyager  # 1345
1997 Mark II
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ron Hill

Randy : I made a post on Loin Coin not too long ago, which I bought last spring and added to my galley area.  After searching MANY flooring stores, I found that $45 a yard ( and in ONE piece) was a bargain.  
BTW did you ask them the width of their yard?  Might try that.   It sure beats the price of teak/holly sole.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Paul Bosquet

I am not sure what you are looking for but try MONDO FLOORING product line, there is something there that will work
Paul Bousquet
C34
Eliosso
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

captran

The quote I got was 45 per square yard.  My measurements  would be a total of about 4 square yards.  I'd seen some very nice Armstrong flooring that looked like a simulated burl type design but then thought if I can get the original I'd be better off.  It does look more like rubber than vinyl.   But I'm always looking for the best deal and thought I'd broach the subject to see what options folks have tried.  I'll look at the mondo flooring link.  thanks.

Randy
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

Ron Hill

Randy : My 2 "square yards" were larger than the 4'x 5.5' (approx) that you need to cover that area.  
I was unable to find any product that was SOLID vinyl (IN ONE PIECE) like LoinCoin.  Good Luck shopping.   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Randy Stolze

The loncoin product is made by Lonseal Flooring. They will only sell to commercial outfits. Mabe West Marine could get it for you or Home Depot.

Lonseal also makes the teak and holly sole vinyl used by Catalina. This stuff is listed in the new Defender catalog. It is listed at $89.99 for 3'x 6'. It is sold by the running yard at 72" wide.

Regards!

Randy
Randy

captran

I pulled up the old and measured.  You were right, it is 2 square yards.  70" x 30 " To give room to line it up, as my piece was cut and installed non symmetrical, as you look at how the lines of coins line up.  I'll talk to home depot to see if they can order, but at 2 yards, I doubt it.  Anyone with ideas about the type of glue?  maybe just a regular linoleum glue?

We had used a rubber backed mat at the bottom of the stairs that had discolored the original material, so I think we'll try a non backed piece of carpet.

We're sure hoping by spring break the yard will be done with their portion of the work so that we can reinstall all that needs to be done.  Am still having a bear of a time matching stain of the new teak cabinets.  I'm probably as close as I'll ever get, combining a custom Benjamin Moore stain with colonial cherry over coated with interlux schooner varnish which is suppose to have a little more gold than amber to it.  (On hull 1345 it is definitely a gloss and not the epiphanes rubbed effect),

This board has been so helpful as I selected items.

Randy
Voyager #1345
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

Ron Hill

Randy : I forgot to mention that Catalina was the only one that was  willing to sell it to me by the yard.  All of the other places that I found suitable (one piece), wanted me to purchase the whole roll if they ordered it!  Also a couple of them would charge me for the shipping!!

I originally had teak/holly (2 pieces) in the galley area, but have found that the vinyl is probably a better choice.  It's anti skid quality is what's needed at the bottom of the companion way steps.  Especially when it's wet or you're heeling.

I'm surprised that your Loincoin is curling up at the edges, as it's solid vinyl.  Wonder if you couldn't take it up and roll it up on the reverse side to flatten out the edges.  Anyway Happy Shopping.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Gene Regan

Randy,
Try this  site, may be some help. I found it messing around on google
http://www.lonseal.com/loncoin1.html
Good luck

captran

curled up due to the moisture.  Could have re glued it, but also had a stain at the base of the steps where we had kept a rubber backed carpet.  I am e mailing my order today to Catalina.  (they require e mail ordering, tho I'll tell them I will call with my credit card.).  As always, thank you all for the great wealth of knowledge and info!

Randy
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

Paul Bosquet

Mondo flooring was the product from Italy that was used at the Olympic Stadium in 1984. Great product.
The product you are referring to looks just like it. As a mater of fact I bought a piece that was used in the puppy den so the floor would not be damaged. I now have it in my garage and just noticed it today, hell I walk over it every day for the last 4 years. I bought it at home depot in the carpet dept., it is used as a runner for either corridors or stairs i guess. It is not as thick as the original product which did not curl but this piece I have does have a slight curl to it but it was never glued.  I imagine that contact glue would work great but it is permanent. I do believe that this product should remain in good shape for the life of the boat.
Paul
C34 Eliosso
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986