Oil/Fuel Filter Alternatives & Equivalents

Previous topic - Next topic

La Luna

Hi Folks

My wife and I are new C34 owners.  This site is great and has given me some great ideas which I have already implemented (microwave and bar fridge helps with being prepared for our new baby's needs).  On the other hand however, there is so much info I sometimes read something and later cannot find it.  In particular, I was reading an article or perhaps an update on different models of fuel and oil filters which were compatible with our Universal M35.  I do my own maintenance and I am always interested in alternatives to seeking out that illusive part (especially when in some far off port).  My engine is due for filter changes and I wonder if you might be able to direct me  through the labyrinth of information.  

Daniel
La Luna

P.S.  New Baby Sophia means I cannot spend hours looking for stuff anymore (or at least for a while).  Oh how life changes!!
Vancouver BC

Stu Jackson

Daniel

Congratulations on the new swabbie.

The new crew member is going to get you working overtime to come up with creative search words.  Now, I guess you're at a loss for words :!:

All the best,
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Danial : Let me see if I can attach my filter list.   :roll:

Most of the following filters can be found in automotive stores, or in the case of Kubota, at tractor or lawn stores (look in the yellow pages).
OIL FILTERS

KUBOTA    70000-15241            PUROLATOR       PER 4620

FRAM          PH 3593A            MOTORCRAFT   FL 814

LEE                LF2808                                                             NAPA                    1338

AC                 PF 57                                                                WIX                       51338

There are a few other items to consider besides cost:  Size -- if you have installed a high output alternator, the filter length might dictate that a shorter filter be used regardless of brand.  It's imperative that some space be maintained between the head of the filter and the alternator adjusting arm.  The shortest filter I've found is the KUBOTA.   Other short filters are NAPA 1356, BOSH 72182, FRAM PH6607.  However, these are also smaller in diameter meaning there is less filter element.    

Clogged filter by pass -- most (but NOT all) filters have a by-pass if the filter becomes clogged. The old saying, "Dirty oil is better than no oil at all" is very true.  This by-pass can usually be detected by seeing a spring on the inside of the filter which opens when the differential pressure reaches 11-14 pounds.  You might also look at the filter and see a black rubber diaphragm under the small inlet holes.  This is an anti drain back valve that keeps the oil from draining out of the filter when the engine is off ( or when removing the filter) .

FUEL FILTERS

KUBOTA   7000-43081

PUROLATOR        PER 262F

Although there are a whole list of interchangeable fuel filters, these are the only two that I've found in stock.  Most of the automotive stores are willing to order you a case if you are really interested.  The special order price is usually higher. The RACOR fuel filter (which is first in line from the fuel tank) filters down to 2 microns.  The filter mounted on the engine are 10 micron (much larger).  I change my RACOR  faithfully every 6 months and the engine mounted filter every 3 or 4 years.

DRIVE BELT REPLACEMENTS:  GATES 7/16" 7400 OR PREMIUM XL 25-10153.  (These are larger than the original 3/8" belt.)

BTW all of the above info is listed in the C34 Mainsheet Tech Note that are in your CD that the IC34A sent you.  :wink:

RON  HILL, APACHE #788
Ron, Apache #788

La Luna

I would just like to say thank you for all the help in my search for alternate filters.  Your response was both instant and very helpful.  As new C34 owners, I feel we made the right choice in our purchase with this website being a part of that decision.  I hope to contribute to the group as I upgrade La Luna into the future.

Daniel Kuhn
La Luna