rudder

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I have purchased a 1989 C34 and the survey found a small area of seepage on the bottom 3rd of the rudder.  The owner and I agreed that a second opinion was needed.  The second opinion recommended that the rudder be sent to Catalina and they would completely redo the rudder.  Would appreciate any feedback.
Paul
p.s. In our contract this was at his expense.

Ted Pounds

Paul,

Welcome aboard!  Congrats on you new purchase.  Do a search on this forum on rudders and you'll find a wealth of info, including some on my experience.    You definitely want the problem taken care of as the rust could cause failure of the rudder.  By the way the rumor is that Catalina doesn't rebuild rudders anymore; you have to buy a new one.  Of course since the seller is paying that's not your problem.  You'll find that the new rudder design greatly improves performance on both the fin and wing keels.  Gook luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy the 34.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Paul : Think you'll like the new elliptical rudder.  Just make sure that you let the factory know which keel you have when ordering the new rudder.
I'm sure that you''l be very happy with a C34.   :clap
Ron, Apache #788