Newbie questions re spring line cleat

Previous topic - Next topic

richard razgaitis

On Monday I took possession of a new C34, #1692, after a wait since June.  I am on a shortie dock and need to use spring lines to keep the bow off the cement, which seems like a good idea.  However, I discovered, I must say to my amazement, that there is no mid-ship cleat on the C34, only a bow and stern cleat on each side.  How should I fix this?  I hate drilling holes in a brand new boat.  Someone suggested putting a cleat in the Genoa track, but that doesn't look very sturdy to me.  I currently have huge spring lines running from the bow cleat to an after finger dock cleat but those lines just rub on the side of the hull and somewhat drop into the water.  Counsel?

Ted Pounds

I have midship cleats mounted on the forward end of my jib lead tracks.  I think that's what most folks do.  You can get track mounted cleats for about $85. Not cheap, but beats drilling holes.   8)
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Richard

Congrats on the new boat.

I find it odd that you don't have any - we have an older boat but I thought the newer ones were coming with them - could've sworn I'd seen 'em.

Ted's right, the use of the track is the only way to go.  It IS sturdy - think of the load the jib puts on the track.

I did a search on "midship cleats" and found one or two references from earlier posts confirming this and some other observations.  Give it a try, you just have to do some scrolling.

Until you get the track mounted cleats, you can use your winches in the meantime.  They're not midships, but will serve the purpose for the time being.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Jenks

Congratulations on your recent purchase. One of the first things we did after buying Unzipped was to add midship cleats. We purchased two Shaefer midrail cleat/chocks for 1 1/4 inch track. They have been on the boat for over 3 years with no problems. They are just slid on the outboard track and can be easily moved as needed. They can be purchased at Sailnet or most anyplace that sells marine hardware. They are one of the best things we bought for Unzipped. The other was an Espar heater. You can see them at the following link:

http://sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=19794
Bill Jenks
Treasurer C34IA
Unzipped  Catalina 34 #1484
BOB San Juan 21 #19
Tacoma WA

John Gardner

There is a choice of about 3 different makes out there in the $65 to $85 range.  There was one already on my boat, but I wanted one on each side for raft ups.   I couldn't find another like the original, so I bought a Garhauer.  The foot of it was too long to go onto the rail because the rail sits in a channel.  I had to cut off about !.5 inches to make it fit.  This made it the same length as the one I already had.
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

richard razgaitis

This is pretty cool:  post a question, go to sleep, answers in the morning with coffee.  Thanks everyone.  This is very helpful.

BTW I am now a big IMF convert.  It came "free" on the boat as part of the 35th anniversary promotion and I was at first reluctant even at that price point.  But just two days of sailing convenience with easy/continuous adjustability has made me very happy with the decision.  The pointing ability of the 34 is very impressive, even with the wing and IMF.

Tom Glennon

In the absence of a mid cleat, I usually take my bow line, after secured to the dock cleat, and run it back to a stanchion located approximately amidships... secure with a "little tension" and do the same with the Stern line... bringing the tail forward to the same stanchion, taking a little strain on it to adjust the "fore 'n aft" of the vessel's location.  With both the bow and the Stern "tails" secured to the same stanchion, it minimizes the strain one direction or another on that stanchion.  Hope this makes sense.

:lol:
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ron Hill

Raz : A mid ship cleat is the way to go.  In the meantime I would NOT recommend using a stanchion.  Better to use a continuous spring line looped around the primary Genoa winch fore and aft.
I recently replaced my Genoa track cleats for a couple of reasons.  The older ones didn't have big enough horns and the hole in the center was too small.  
Shaffer makes a nice cleat that I bought.  It also has the locking pin in the center of one of the cleat horn supports - so the hole in the center isn't taken up by the locking pin.  They are SS and not the cheapest.  
A Thought.        Welcome Aboard  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

I've had Shaefer midship cleats on Breezer for several years.  They are  great - easily adjustable, indestructable, and are good looking too.

Mike

richard razgaitis

In case anyone else is in this boat, I found the following on West Marine on-line:
1x1/4 inch, West # 140181, Schaefer # 70-75, $89.99 each
1 x 1/8 inch, West #1928787, Schaefer #70-74, $74.99 each.

Both are 316, which is the high Cr stainless (as opposed to 304), which is what one would want for a salt water environment.

Ron Hill

Raz : You want the 1 1/4" and from Defender the Schaefer cleats are $73.99 each (item #612955).  Their tel # is (800)654-1616.  Ask them for a catalog if you don't have one - their prices usually beat West & Boat US.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788