Sailors Solutions SPM Sound Proofing Tiles

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMERY

I've researched the options for additional engine sound proofing on this site. There was a thread a couple years ago where a couple members had installed this product and others had it on order. Can anyone give me a follow on how the product has held up? Have the tiles remained in place with out mechanical fasteners? Did you have to use fasteners on the tiles that went over head? How has the product in general held up over the years? Do you have any additional advice for installation? Where to start, front, back, top, bottom? Should I use any mechanical fasteners? What about metal tape on the exposed edges or seams? Are there any tips or techniques in cutting the material?  I have the 24 tile kit on order and would appreciate any advice on the installation, etc.

Thanks, Dave

C-34   988

Ray & Sandy Erps

I just installed some extra sound proofing material last week that I bought at West Marine.  It came in a roll.  There was half inch material and one inch to choose from.  It came with foil tape for the edges and had peel off sticky back tape for securing to surfaces.  Mechanical hardware was recommended for overhead surfaces although I'm convinced the sticky stuff would initially hold the material up at first.  I used a pair of tin snips to cut the material.  The job went pretty well, although I'm not done yet.  Did the easy stuff first, so I'll continue to putt along on some of the harder to reach parts later.  We haven't noticed too much improvement yet, but it's kind of hard to remember how loud it was before.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

DEMERY

Alright the tiles have arrived and I'm planning on doing the installation this weekend. I'm still looking for any advice or experience using this product.

Thanks, Dave

Jim Price

I did this a couple of summers ago.  You can probably find my comments if you search this site.  I tiled everything I could, top sides, access doors, area inside access under head sink (lot of noise comes from here),  I did use screws on all panels attached anywhere above the engine.  Was concerned that heat might cause one to release and fall into belt.  I cut panels to size so that when an access door is closed, there is almost no open seam.  

I have not had any tiles come loose other than one partial tile that is under head sink above the sump switch.  Just will not stay stuck to rough bulkhead.  No danger when it fall loose but I will probably put some other adhesive on tile just for this one.  I have sealed the seams with foil tape but that does sound like a good idea.

Never completed mounting all the tiles  - planned to mount some overhead on bottom of cockpit surface behind engine to eliminate a little more noise that comes through cockpit.  Might have to consider additional adhesive in that area for same reason as the spot under head sink.

Very pleased - highly recommend (I actually have recommendation in Mainsheet last year)
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Dave

Here's the reference to Jim's older message:

http://www.c34ia.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=8639&highlight=#8639

The way I found it was to go to Profile (bottom of the post), and then "view all posts by Jim Price."  This one appeared on the second of many pages, since Jim has been a frequent contributor.

Lotsa different ways to do searches.    :wink:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

DEMERY

Thanks for the additional input. I'm planning on covering all exposed areas in the engine compartment and has much of the head cabinet as I can reach. I'll plan on using a mechanical fastener on the tiles above the engine and using some supplemental adhesive on those tiles attached to non smooth areas. Thanks again for your input, and I'll follow with my results.

Thanks, Dave

skip

Dave-

Installed tiles at the beginning of this year and was very happy with them.   Did not use mechanical fasteners but made sure that surfaces were cleaned well first.   Tiles over engine are holding well however on the uneven surfaces underneath the cockpit sole tiles came loose.   If you put the tiles too close to the exhaust riser as they will start to melt and smell for a while until they get enough clearance.    I also had to cut a slot in the tiles for clearance on the front of the engine where there is the top pulley for the alternator belt.

Overall sound reduction was good, but don't expect total silence.

Skip

Jim Price

As a final thought.  You may want to experiment with cushining on the engine cover and the top set of companion way steps.  I find I get a lot of noise that is actually vibrations from the componnets vibrating.  I am trying differnet self stick weather striping products that will let everything fit but reduce or eliminate the steps from vibrating.  

It was easy to ID.  After doing the panels I begin to notice more noise than I expected in the saloon.  Standing on the steps suddenly made things a lot quieter.  That is what the panels will do for you - let you discover other areas of noise you did not even know you needed to worry about!!
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

DEMERY

Thanks everyone for the additional input / insight. Jim, please let us know what you find out regarding the use of weather stripping, felt strips, etc to minimize noise from the engine cover and upper steps. It sounds like that will be my next project. We often motor / sail to Catalina Island which is about a 4 hour trip. My goal is to make the loud roar a dull roar.

Thanks, Dave

Mike Vaccaro

Something that worked well for us was to use velcro at the base of the top stairs.  Cut down on vibration quite a bit.  The velcro does such a good job of holding the stairs, that I have to slide the lower stairs up a bit and then pull the top stairs back at an angle to "peel" them off to access the engine.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Stu Jackson

We installed felt pads under the top steps where they rest on the bottom steps.

Simpler and easier to disengage than Velcro, and work quite well.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

DEMERY

Well I'm 90 percent complete and the results appear to be good. I've covered every square inch within the engine compartment. This includes all the areas Catalina had originally covered as well as the aft engine enclosure that is visible from the aft cabin. I've used 20 tiles to date and am still going to add additional tiles to the cabinet in the Head. The overall noise reduction at idle is minimal, but has you increase the RPM's the noise level is definitely reduced. Like others, I've noticed as you suppress the engine noise, noise from vibrations becomes more apparent. I will continue my quest to tame the beast with additional tiles and weather stripping / felt strips, etc.

Thanks, Dave