anyone know how repeaters(autohelm/rayathon spd&dpth)mou

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

I have a 97 and the repeaters for ST50 instruments(speed and depth) are mounted just above the chart table on the white Formica like surface, below the panel.  I don't know if they were done at the factory or? I am trying to figure out how they are mounted.  I tried prying them off thinking maybe silicone holding them, but that didn't work.  The does not appear to be any access to the back of the units.  not from the top where all the wiring is in the panel, as the white board is solid there.  And the hanging locker wood goes all the way back to the side of the boat.  I am stumped.  Any ideas????  I need to remove them and send them in to see if they can be repaired or replaced.  It is an overwhelming project.

We have cleaned Voyager up.  The main a/c was not damaged, so that was good news, and most of the wood was not as bad as it looked originally.  But it will be a long project to dry and refinish.  Next weekend I hope to install the link 20, the bilge pump switches, new macerator and water pump.  West Marine was kind to match the sale price that consumer marine.com had, saving over a hundred bucks just on the link 20!

Thanks, all, for any guidance and ideas as I undertake this project.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

rirvine

I assume they are flush mounted.  If that is the case, two bolts hold them in with nuts on the inside.   If you have the ST 50 installation manual that could give you some idea of how it was done.  If you do not have a copy, they can be down loaded from Raymarine's web site under the Customer Service section.

My AM/FM and VHF radios are mounted in that spot. If yours are in the same place, they can be removed it get one's hand behind the panel.   Also my hanging locker has a lining on the right hand side that can be removed without much difficulty so you can look around some.

Good luck, Ray

dave davis

I have an ST50 mounted in a pod at the wheel.
I would like to have a repeater mounted on the mast but I have been told by The Standard Horizon factory that they do not make a repeater for this instrument. Is it possible that you do not have a repeater but do have a primary instrument.
Am I way off base again? :cry:
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

captran

I have my ST 50 speed, depth and the ST 30 wind in the nav pod at the helm.  I assumed the speed and depth inside was a repeater.  Would there be two primaries????  I will be back aboard on Thursday and look again.  there are no numbers on the below deck installations, but I am not sure what it says on the Nav pod.  As to access, on my 1997 there main panel area is mounted on the door that opens down, and there is definitely the same white Formica like material inside that cupboard and holes for wiring drilled into the white bottom.  I'll look at the closet installation again but it looks original, and I don't see how the heck I can get in there far enough to reach around to where the instruments are even after removing the cedar locker side.  I am going to pick up one of those little hand held mirrors that are about the size of a nickle and see if I can jockey enough light to see from where the bilge pump switches are.  I'll scan a pic and see if I can post that, maybe it would help.  I do have the manual which, fortunately, did not get soaked as so many things did.  I'll go upstairs right now and look at it.

I'll also be talking to H&L about wood.  The front bottom panel by the foot of the V berth had the worst dark discoloration.  In sanding it lightly, it looks like the teak face of the plywood is about as thin as a sheet of paper.  I am hoping the rest of the boat is not that thin.  Any ideas about cleaning black discoloration off teak without sanding?  Also, have checked Home Depot and Lowes for Varnish, as people previously recommended Helmsman Minwax Satin.  I was hoping to get some pints of different recommendation, but they only have it in spray, which I will try, and quarts.  If the spray looks good I will get a quart.

Major bummer.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

Mike Vaccaro

Most teak plywood has a very thin veneer (only 1/32" or so)--this doesn't leave much room for sanding and other repairs.  If the wood is in good shape but only discolored, there are multiple teak cleaning solutions on the market.   Most are acid based and will return the wood to its natural light color (exposed interior teak naturally darkens with age).  

Teak veneer can also be purchased for replacing or covering areas of damaged wood (assuming the substrate is structurally sound).  This is cut and may be glued in place with contact cement.  

A ship's carpenter can also help; but one of the best parts about owning a Catalina is the customer support from the factory.  You might start there.  They may be able to provide a restoration technique or it might be easier to simply replace some of the damaged areas with new wood.  This type of work can be very labor intensive; so the best value might be buying new parts (unless, of course, you give yourself a significant discount on your own labor!).

Best of luck!

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Paul Bosquet

Hi , I have used bleach on my stained aft cabin panels with success. The trick is not to leave it too long and rinse it. Another method could be to use a 2 part teak cleaner. Am sure that would do the job.
Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

captran

Last night I tried Decks Rens marine wood cleaner and brightener.  Helped very little, maybe 5% tops.  I'll experiment with some bleach.  I figure I have a sacrificial piece of wood (the V berth foot board, as that was about the worst.) that I can experiment with.  I called H&L and talked with Ron.  He suggested I'd be better off going with a local company (which I will stop by Tuesday) as they do not know the measurements or design of the wood they made for Catalina.  Boy, that surprised me. I would have thought given the volume they would have measurements, diagrams, etc.   He said if I sent him my old wood they could try to build what I need, but said shipping would add to the cost, and big projects better than small because you have to buy a sheet of 4x8 plywood at $90. or $120 (one sided vs 2 sided).  Besides the lower foot board in the V berth, there is alittle discoloring of the wood where the bulkhead meets the setee on the port side, as well as a small amount of water stain on the bottom part of the two small cabinets on either side of the window.   Believe me, I am open to any and all suggestions.

As to Catalina, I am very shocked at their "service".  I called several times and each time they forward me to Kent Nelson.  Three times and he has not returned my call.  He did e mail me once with a referral to H&L and a pessimistic "will be difficult to match".   I did get a call from a woman at Catalina several weeks later but the message was erased.  I don't know if she was a PR person or what, but I'd love to know her name. I e mailed him well over a week ago,again, about 10 days I think.  I have not received a response, and every time I call parts they just forward me to his voice mail which gets me no where.  I would love to ask them for info in three areas.  Thanks to prior posts I know what water based varnishes Catalina uses, and I have some ideas on oil based varnishes from Roc and others which I am experimenting with. I tried Helmsman satin but it comes out flat looking, so I suspect I need satin gloss

From Catalina I would like to know what varnish they used on the floor of the 1997's.  I would like to know if there are diagrams of how the port bulkheads and the two cabinets are installed (in case I have to replace rather than refinish) and I would like to know if I can purchase a replacement piece of vinyl for the floor and what glue they recommend.

But given their response thus far, I think I will need to rely on what I can gather from you all-which, again, I sincerely appreciate!
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345