sherwood waterpump ...

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Glennon

Gentlemen: When winterizing my engine this weekend, I noticed there was a whitish area on the engine block behind and below the Sherwood water pump , also, the impeller cover seemed to have that "verdigris" look to it which makes me suspect there may be a leak in the gasket of the pump to the engine block.

I did change the impeller a year ago, and replaced that gasket when I did, making sure to clean the mating surfaces thoroughly.

I guess my question is... if I were to take the pump housing off the block, what should I be aware (leery) of??

Thanks in advance for any input.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ron Hill

Tom : As I recall you have an M25XP and I guess your question is really asking "What am I going to encounter"?
Either the Sherwood or the Oberdoffer raw water pump is held onto the engine by nuts that screw into studs that are secured into the engine block.  When the pump is removed you'll be looking at an accessory (female slot) drive sprocket.  I've removed my pump(s) regularly and rebuild them.  I'm still using the same gasket between the engine and the pump.  
As I recall it takes a 10mm wrench and the removal/installation is straight forward.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Tom

Try this:

http://www.c34ia.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=755&highlight=oberdorfer

I found it with a search on "Oberdorfer" since I remembered there were some posts on the subject.  Try the Oberdorfer search for more articles (this was just one of many that popped up), and also try Sherwood as a search, as well as raw water pump.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ray & Sandy Erps

My guess would be that the whiteish area on the block under the raw water pump is not from a leaking block gasket.  Speaking generally, it would be more likely that the cover gasket is leaking the water is running back down the pump onto the block, or the pump seal is leaking and water is leaking out the weep hole and then down the block.  

I have found that when cleaning up surfaces for a new gasket, that hitting the surfaces with a sanding block and sandpaper does a very good job of prepping the surfaces for final assembly after scrapping it clean with a sharp putting knife.  I like to spray the exterior of my motor occasionally with WD-40 as well.  Keeps it clean and shiney looking and it minimizes growing green and white fuzz if I do develope a salt water leak.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA