Charging Dead Batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Due to a lack of electricity at my dock due to Hurricane Ivan, all four of my Trojan 105's are 100% dead.  The canal is relatively free of debris now, so I'm ready to crank up Breezer's engine and bring them back to life.  I should have electricity at the dock by next week when my charger will take over.  Does anyone have any advice on precautions I should take before charging them back up?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Stu Jackson

Mike

Check the water in them.

It sounds like you're going to start charging them with the engine's alternator first, so what starts the engine?  Assuming you get the engine started, unless you've upgraded the alternator and installed a three stage regulator, you're not going to get much out of the engine alternator at all after the first hour (tapering charger).

I forget whether or not you have a Truecharge charger.  If you do, it may be better to wait until you get electricity back and charge them up properly the first time, rather than depending on the alternator.

Calder's Boatowner's Manual has a good writeup on getting dead batteries up to charge.

Good luck, glad you're still afloat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Norris Johnson

I agree with Stu, but if you are persistent on "jump starting" and charging dead batteries, be sure and fill the batteries with distilled water and open up the battery area so they will vent. Clip on the negative clamp last and don't make sparks. The gas coming from charging batteries is highly flammable.
I would follow Stu's advice as a first choice.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Mike Smith

I keep the batteries topped off with distilled water.  I'll use a rechargable portable jump starter, which I keep in the dink - just for good luck.  I have several chores to do on Breezer post Ivan, and I wanted to get the engine going to warm up the engine oil for changing and a couple of other things, so I figured I'd get a little juice back in the Trojans while I did that.  The full charge will be when I get power back on the dock.  I've hesitated running the engine due to all the plastic bags and other crap in the water just waiting to be sucked up into the raw water intake!

Thanks,
Mike

APACHE

Mike : I haven't seen Calders advice so consider me a "heretic".
I seem to remember that with a dead/flat battery, that you want to dribble charge it back to life.  If you have a Hi Output alternator you're going to sock 60-80 amps at those dead batteries!!
I think that I talk to a local battery shop and see what they have to say.  You should have power shortly and have waited this long - don't rush and screw up your 4 Trojans.  
Your concern for ingestion of junk is a real concern.  A few thoughts.  :wink:

Ray & Sandy Erps

On the flip side of the coin:  I was under the impression that it was hard on a battery to leave it discharged.  Some sort of chemical reaction took place on the lead plates, and it hardened up if not recharged soon.  With that in mind, any sort of a charge sooner might be better than leaving them dead longer.  More to consider.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Mike Smith

OK, dock has been completely re-wired, but power won't be back on until 31 Jan.  I bought a Truecharge 40 to replace my old '92 Sentry charger.  I think I want to just swap them out and keep the charger under the nav table. Has anyone mounted their charger elsewhere?

Mike

Paul Bosquet

Mike, Last year after purchasing Eliosso, did a major electrical refit including a Truecharge  40. After looking at several configuration with my electrician, we agreed to install it on the starboard side  forward of the water tank close to the bulkhead under the seat upside down. This way , we were using space that otherwise would not be used. We glued a piece of plywood under the seat to be able to secure it . Am very pleased with this installation. The inverter, XANTEX 1000  was installed sideways on the inside of the starboard compartment  under the settee. There is a remote on / off switch at the nav table. A plug was connected to the inverter to 2 strategically located dedicated outlets, one in the galley and one at the nav table. Great to feed the toaster and microwave and the other for whatever.
Of course , all the proper fuses were installed as per instructions by Jim Moe . I had posted these instructions  a while back ago on this site .
Good luck
Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Ron Hill

Mike : I do believe that a Honda 1KW would have been well worth the $650, especially in your situation.  It sure would have helped you save the "cheap" Trojans from sulfating.

Paul : You'd better check with Xantex and the mounting of that charger.  When I called them last year, they told me that up right(vertical) was the best.  When I asked about mounting on it's side, they would only say that it could be done.  You'd better check with them if you want to mount it any other way.  It does get VERY warm and needs ventilation cooling.

A few thoughts.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Kyle Ewing

I had a similar conversation with Xantrex before mounting my Truecharge 40.  The Xantrex engineer told me the certification testing (i.e. UL) that it went through was done while in the upright position.  He told me that theoretically it should be problem free in other positions, but it hadn't been certified that way.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Chicago
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Stu Jackson

A battery charger is a simple, albeit now more complicated, transformer.

Transformers make heat.

Heat needs to be dissipated.

Hiding it doesn't help.  Why put it sideways and hidden?  The wiring runs to and from that location are longer.

Under the nav station makes the most sense.

Mike, swap it out straight, as long as the wiring sizes are right.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

An answer to this can be found at:

http://www.c34.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=10318