How does one access aft hull area behind the aft water tank?

Previous topic - Next topic

SailDan

We have a 1994 Mk I C-34 with a walk-through transom.  Our "Cold Machine" (refrigerator) compressor was installed immediately below the aft port locker in the hull area behind the aft water tank.  You can see the compressor by removing the back panel in the aft stateroom.  However, there is no way I can squeeze in above the water tank to get to it.

The refrigerator manufacture recommends annual cleaning of the radiator.  Also, I understand there is fuse on the compressor that can blow occasionally.  In addition, this is a 10-year old refrigerator and I suspect it will need replacing sooner or later.

Problem: The floor of the port aft locker is a single piece of plywood which appears to have been attached from below before the water tank was installed?   It appears the only way to access this area without removing the water tank (and wheel components below the deck in front of the tank!), is to cut through the "single-piece"  plywood locker floor? Then..., since its attach from below, how does one reattach this floor?; we store all our dock lines in this locker.  Has anyone else encounter this problem and come up with a solution?... maybe I am missing the obvious.
Dan
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Ken Juul

Dan,
I'm trying to picture your situation.  I am guessing that the compressor is located in the space between the water tank and the port hull side, aft of the fuel tank.  If I remember correctly, by taking off the aft cabin port wall you can reach back into this cavity.  May give you enough room to service the compressor.  I have my propane locker located directly below the port Lazzarette hatch, with stbd side open for general storage of lines, bumpers, etc.  Sounds like yours  may be reversed.  Can you clean the compressor by reaching through the lazzarette with a long handled brush/vacuum?  Eventually I know something will require personal attention in the Lazzarette.  At that point I think it is time to either hire skinny boatyard help or borrow a neighbors teenager for an afternoon.  Hatches are way to small for most adults to slither through.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

ohana34

I've replace both the fan and  elec. module on my adlerbarber unit by just reaching through the lazerat opening. Access through the aft bulkhead can only be done by removing the water tank.
Hard to do, definitely.
Jim

SailDan

Ken & Jim,
Ken - Oops... I wrote "port" side in my original query when I should have said "starboard" side.  In deed, aft my propane locker is also on the port side like yours, and the compressor is located below the aft locker / lazzarette on the starboard side.  I have attempted to clean the compressor's radiator with a vacuum hose by reaching over the water tank after removing the aft stateroom bulkhead panel.  It is a very snug fit.
Jim - I appears we have the same compressor. How did you remove the floor in the aft locker / lazzarette to access and replace the compressor's fan and electric module? Did you have to "cut out" the plywood floor and if so, how did you reattach it?  I don't want to remove that water tank if I can avoid it!
Dan
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Arnold & Suzanne Robart

Dan
Check to see if you have some slack in your engine control cables and the wiring coming down from your pedestal.  My boat #1279 had enough to allow the water tank to be removed fairly easily.  Sure makes accessing the A-B a whole lot easier.

Arnold Robart
Ten Times
1994 #1279

ohana34

Dan,
I've got hull number 1149 and there isn't really a floor in the  Starboard lazaret.  The compressor is mounted on a small wood platform all the way down on the hull side and the rest is wide open.  DPO might have removed the floor, not sure.
Jim

SailDan

Jim,
My starboard lazzarette definitely has a floor; this is the lazzarette where we (and the previous owner) store our dock-lines.  Looking "over the water tank", I can seen that my compressor is also mounted on a plywood platform.  I suspect the previous owner of your boat may have in fact removed the floor to access the compressor.   If so, it may be that he also had trouble figuring out how to reinstall it.... thus the "hole".

Arnold,
Moving engine throttle & shift control cables to one side to remove water tank.... Mum-mm, had not thought of that.  If you've done it, that's great news.  However, removing that starboard lazzarette floor (and being able to remount it) would be a lot easier.  It may end up that I have to try your technique.
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Randy and Mary Davison

For what it's worth...My hull number is 1268 and there is no sign that anything resembling a floor was ever installed.  My Cold Machine is mounted to a piece of plywood about two feet down.  Makes me wonder if the previous owner installed the floor in your locker.

I've replaced the electronic module and cleaned the grill by squeezing one shoulder into the opening.  I'm 6'2" so it's not easy but it can be done.
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe

SailDan

Randy,
Interesting... hull #1268 does not have a floor in the starboard aft locker.  I spoke to the owner of hull #1291 last evening and he also has a plywood floor in his locker.  However, he did not know if it was installed by the "factory" or the previous owner; also he has never tried to remove it.
I telephone Catalina this morning (10-8-04) and left a voice message with Customer Services asking about this.  I am waiting for a response.  In the mean time, I wonder if anyone else with a "late series" Mark I C-34 has a floor in this locker.
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Randy and Mary Davison

Dan,

One last check to be sure were not playing with words instead of reality...
How far down is your floor?  Does it close off the bottom of the locker so you can't see your cold machine compressor?  I'd be amazed if Catalina actually trapped the compressor under something not easily removed.

I'll be interested to hear what Catalina says.

Randy
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe

Ken Juul

Dan,
As a point of reference, when I modified my propane locker to accept an 11# bottle, I had to lower the mount that the locker rests on.  The "floor" of the mount was just stapled to the gussets glassed to the hull.  Couple tugs and it came right off.    As Randy said, a lot of one arm reaching.

Mine does not have a floor.  It would make reaching things easier, but I think you loose quite a bit of volume.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Brad Colon

I own hull # 1285 and it has a floor in the aft starboard locker. This reduces the amount of usable storage area. I can store a small grill and a bucket of cleaning supplies and a gallon of antifreeze and that is about it.
My refrigerator compressor is also located underneath this floor. I believe that it can be removed as there is molding around the bottom. I did use this locker to access the starboard side of the cockpit which is where I located my autopilot controls. I would try to access the refrigerator from above as it would have to be easier than removing the water tank behind the aft cabin.
1994 CAPTIVATED # 1285

SailDan

Brad,
Thanks so much for the information.  I don't recall seeing the molding you describe at the bottom of the locker... I'll have to check again.  I telephoned Catalina's Service Department last week (10-8-04) and left a message on their answering machine  asking about the floor in the aft starboard locker.  Still no reply.
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289