Forward birth of a 1987 C34?

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip Imhof

Just thought someone might be interested. I found the picture on the internet.

Stu Jackson

Now I get the BIRTH part!!!

Any idea what the hull # is?

Heck of a resale value feature.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

APACHE

Stu : The hull # WAS 1/2, before Jerry Douglas conducted a redesigned.  :wink:

john meyer

Stu, your statement about resale value brings up an interesting question.  I have a MKII and have long thought of modifying the front "V" berth into two twins.  I would, cut back the existing "V" berth platform notch to the forward water tank bulkhead and remove the two vertical storage lockers built at the head of the existing berth.  I would then extend the two berth platforms back to the cabin bulkhead, expand the width of the port berth, build in some drawers under each berth for storage and finish with some new custom mattresses / lee cloths.    Although I've thought this out thoroughly and drawn it to scale, I would have the actual work engineered and done by our local, reputable boat builder, Schooner Creek (they built Ocean Planet, the sole American entry for the upcoming Vendee Globe race). I know the cost of this change would not be cheap, but it would be less expensive than sizing up to vessel with a dual entry sleeping arrangement in one cabin (this has been my wife's and my only issue with our 34).   I spoke with  the Catalina folks who cautioned against weakening the hull, but agreed that with proper engineering, it could be done. However, when I discussed this with a well known Boat dealer here in the Northwest,  he said such a radical modification would destroy the boat  resale value.  So my question is - do major modifications to a production boat (assuming done professionally) lower it's assumed value?

Ted Pounds

John,

I don't don't think a well done modification would ruin the boat's resale value.  If that were true then a totally custom boat would have no resale value!  That said, however, I'm sure you would not get your money back for the mod when you sell.   The only return you'll get on your investment is the enjoyment you get from having the boat set up the way you like it.  I think that's true for many, if not most, of the mods we do on our boats.  Your mod is just a bit more expensive than most.  Just my thoughts...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

APACHE

John : I agree with Ted, that you will never get your money back from the cost of such modification.  You'll certainly cut out any buyers that like the spacious Vberth of the C34.  The Vberth is one of the big features of a C34.  I know of some C38 owners that have moved from their large aft cabin to the Vberth for more air, space and to get away from the water slapping against the transom.  Especially true at anchor.
I'd think long and hard before rearranging that nice C34 Vberth.   :?

john meyer

Ted and Ron, thanks for your replies.  Ron, I agree that the C34 "V" is voluminous.  My wife and I sleep in it exclusively AND we sleep antwartship.  However, we have different alarm clocks and that's where the issue comes in.  I would not be decreasing the sleeping square footage, just rearranging it.  I also would be increasing the storage space access (w/ under the berth drawers).  On the flip side, I would be decreasing, actually eliminating the shelf storage space on top of the existing lockers.  Believe me, I'm giving this MUCH thought as to if I should proceed.  Thanks again.

Stu Jackson

John

Seems that the replies may have not gone to your original question, but they were great.  If you consider your original goal:  "I want to simply readjust the berths, keep the storage and allow two people to get out of bed without dinging each other," then the modification makes sense.  

The only question then: "is it worth it financially to do this?"  I don't think the resale value would change much if there was the same space with pretty much the same storage, albeit "adjusted."

I modified the V berth hanging locker into shelves anyway, and like it better, much more storage.

Heck, if you do it right, the factory could eventually offer the "JM Forward Cabin Option!"   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."