raw water strainer

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

When finally preparing to launch this season, I found that my raw water strainer had a section of the screen rotted away. Since I luckily have the same strainer type in line for the fresh water system, I just used the cylindrical screen from that one. Meanwhile, I'm trying to find a replacement and am having no luck, so I wanted to see want others of you have got for strainers.
I don't see any company ID on my strainer housing, might just be the orientation of it installed.
It's @ 5 1/2 x 2 1/2 plastic housing with a clear plastic screw off sight glass. The screen itself is @ 3 5/8 x 1 1/2 ID, and cylindrical. The orientation of the housing is a sideways T, inline from the intake thru-hull.
TailWind is an 89 Mk1. What do others have? the only options I've seen in the catalogs are much bigger brass units that I assume must be in an upright orientation.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Roc

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ed Shankle

Roc,
Thanks for looking, but that's not the strainer I've got.
Ed Shankle
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Ed

I think we have a Sherwood on our boat, not sure if they make them anymore.

I googled "raw water strainer" and got lots of hits, don't know what you have.

You may want to consider just getting some screening material from a hardware store, or better yet try to match the material and get it from a hardware store.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

Good thought on Google. I followed a thread and it looks like it might be a Shurflo. I'll pursue it.
thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Salem, MA

Dave

I believe the original water pump, macerator, and shower diaphragm pump were Jabsco on my 1989. You might check on the Jabsco Web site. I also think that the strainer used for the raw water intake is the same style / manufacture as the fresh water strainer below the galley sink. You may want to consider moving the fresh water strainer to the raw water thru hull and replace the fresh water strainer with a different style / manufacture if you can't find an exact match.

Bob

Very simple solution, do what I did! I ordered two replacement strainers from Catalina Parts.

Stu Jackson

One time, when cleaning my RW strainer, I flicked my wrist with the clear plastic cap in my hand to throw the weeds overboard, only to see the O ring gasket go right with it!   :eek:

I went to my local hardware store (aka West Marine but less expensive, backup marine source) and wandered into the O ring section, bought a few for next to nothing, picked the right size, returned the others and got a backup.

Of course, now I have to remember where I put it!

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

No luck finding Hypro, Ron. That phone number must have changed. I'll give Atlantic Pump a call.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Salem, MA

Ken Heyman

Quote from: Stu Jackson on July 04, 2004, 01:08:55 PM
One time, when cleaning my RW strainer, I flicked my wrist with the clear plastic cap in my hand to throw the weeds overboard, only to see the O ring gasket go right with it!   :eek:

I  Stu

I did exactly the same thing yesterday. Wanting to sail and needing that o-ring I took the small diameter o ring from a spare racor filter.  I snipped it and estimated the circumference to be a bit larger than needed. I placed it inside the "plastic cap" and then trimmed for a pretty good fit and voila I was good to go. Now  it's off to the hardware store to buy some assorted o-rings. In searching this subject, reference was made to a Ron Hill tech notes article  specifying the exact size of the o-ring but I haven't found it as of yet. Anyone happen to know?

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that Shurflow may be selling the same OEM unit - anyway it looks the same!   
Ron, Apache #788

Wobegon

I am not sure what I am missing here and maybe you are talking about something else...Catalina Direct has the entire raw water strainer for my 1992 C34...replaced it this past spring...

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1161&ParentCat=71

I hope this helps. 

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ed,
I was able to get the o rings (but I think they were actually flat washers)  locally in San Diego from a marine parts distributer. I won't be down there again until the 15th but I'll check if they carry ths strainers as well.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Guys : Wo nailed it, as that's the correct strainer. 
As far as the gasket - any thick "O" ring will work.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788