info on older 34s

Previous topic - Next topic

max

I"m looking at a vintage 1986 34 to buy and was wondering  what kind of modifications were made to the design and when. In particular,this boat seems more tender than the 1989 boat I used to sail on. It also seems to have a smaller sail plan. Any pointers on where I could go to find this kind of info?

Thanks!!

Stu Jackson

Max

1.  Look at the projects page on the main C34 website.  You passed that to get here.

2.  Look at the main website under Brochures.

You say: "Any pointers on where I could go to find this kind of info?"

That is what this whole HUGE C34 website is all about.  It's hard to answer your questions about "tenderness" because we don't know what you sailed before.

Take a look also at FAQs, "Why We Bought our C34s.": http://c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

It's right at the top.

The main website says:  "This is a large website containing a wealth of information about the Catalina 34 sailboat from the first boats built in 1986 through the current model.  If you are interested in finding out more about the C34, you've come to the right place.  Take your time, and peruse the pages of this site."

What more can I say?

Sorry I can't be more specific, but the information is here.  Hope someone else can be more specific for your questions.

I have an '86 and love it (we're just the second owners of our boat).

A "FIND" on this message board for "1986 Catalina 34" finds this:

http://c34.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=search&s=329609511&reqWords=1986+Catalina+34

I would also suggest you check my post on this one, which has three more good references that begin to approach your question:

http://c34.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=946107715&inc=-1

It's really hard to do a "Highlights" of over 12 years of input and information.  Heck, if you're not in a hurry, you could spend time and read it all!  (ha ha).  

Seriously, I read ALL the main website, which was not much smaller in 1998 than it is now, before we bought Aquavite.  Really, I read it ALL.

The message board is MUCH longer, given it's popularity since it's inception in 2001.  It is search-able by topic, too, and you could also scroll through every single post ever made by using the lower right hand corner of the board to go back, back, way back.  I know this is somewhat (!) time consuming for anyone to do, but I personally don't know how else to answer a "generalist" question.

I've said it before: [most] of the new and/or prospective owner questions are basically on the main website, supported by the "specialty" and supplemental questions and answers in this RESEARCHABLE message board.  

The amount of time you spend on your own research will be directly proportional to the information you will obtain.

I hope the references I've posted above will be a good starting point for you.  If there's more we can do for you, please keep this thread going.

Please note that there are NO moderators or "operators" of this message board, just a great group of people willing to share their experiences.  The main website (and this board) are technically (i.e.- computer-eez-wise) "managed" by another dedicated group consisting of the webmaster and associate webmasters, who do one heck of a job keeping it up for everyone's use.

HUGE just doesn't begin to describe it.

Happy reading.  

You could also consider finding another C34 owner near you, and talk to him.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

max

Stu, thanks for the 'handholding'! guess i saw the "first visit" section and just dove right in. you're right, everything i want to know is right there!

thanks again for your time,

/max