Bottom Blisters

Previous topic - Next topic

mvazmina

With regrets, I am selling Second Wind and when we hauled the boat for the survey we found hundreds of the small "popcorn" blisters on the bottom. My last bottom job was 18 months ago and I have had a monthly bottom cleaning service. The yard told the prospective buyer it would run $250.00 per foot or $8500 to  strip the bottom and repaint and this is the "right" way to do it.  (They also told him the engine would have to be pulled, rebuilt and painted to reduce the vibration to the tune of $12,000). Needless to say the sale fell through. But my question is can the bottom just be sanded to remove the blisters and then a standard botom paint be put on and will a barrier coat help to prevent any new blisters. I am in Florida salt water so a 18 months to 2 year life for a bottom job is about right.  

Thanks for the help on this and more importantly thanks for all the help in the past few years.

mervdog

I just bought a boat with some minor blistering.From the two surveyors that I talked to, it will happen to almost all boats. The price given to you seems to be the same quoted to me. I was also told by both to have a hull profile done before I buy the boat. If the blistering is only in the first layer, and is not structrual, you can hold off doing the bottom for a while. My blister just started was only in the first layer of gelcoat. I was told by the company that did the profile to do another in two yaers. If it does not progress, then wait. If it starts to go through the first layer of glass, then redo the bottom. The seller of the boat greatly reduced the the price to compenstate for the work I will eventually have to do.

Eliosso

When I bought Quest in 93 in Florida, an Ericon 25+, I to had small blisters, hundreds of them. I sanded, punctured and drained those that where a good size and let dry for a month, then repaired with epoxi, sanded and applied bottom paint. It worked, no further problem. Just sold it and no blisters nor moisture were reported on the survey. Don't know if he actually checked but I did  and nothing, nada.
It defies logic cause when moisture is in the hull , it doesn,t go away by itself and if you apply interprotect over a humid hull, you will just trap it and make things worse because then eventually you will need to take the protective coating and the gel coat off , let it dry throroughly the apply a new interprotect .I guess I was lucky. Good luck
Paul
Eliosso C34

Richie

My 86 also has small blisters....
I was told by the surveyor that they were in the VC Tar, and not in the gel. He said....sandblast the bottom...Allpy barrier coat and anti-fowling. If I do the painting, and have it sand blasted....it will cost 900-1000.00
As foe the engin....you can buy a new or re-built one for alot less!!
I think someone thinks you have some extra cash!!

Best

Richie
Pazzo # 113

Richie

Sorry about the typo's....Was in a hurry to get some other work done!

R