The perfect fridge ! Under Nav Station

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Michel

After months of searching we found the perfect sized fridge to fit under the nav station.  It is a Sears Kenmore Model 91245.  You WILL have to modify this unit, so if you are looking for a real easy job.....don't do this!(It took about 2 hours to complete this job)  The top can be cut to provide a custom fit. I had to remove the feet and replace the bracket that the
compressor mounts on with a scrap of aluminum stock,but I know that we maxed out the amount of fridge we can cram in this area. E-mail me with questions.   I paid around $160.00 for this unit.

Larry Calfee

Steve,

I am interested in getting more information from you on your installation of the refigerator.  I bought the Sears model 91245 today with hopes of installing it this weekend.  You mentioned E-mailing you but did't include your E-mail address.  Would you post it so I can ask some specifics about the installation.  Thanks.

Stu Jackson

Steve,

Is this related to the new 'fridge article on the Projects page?

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Same idea.  The Igloo I used is 12V.  I think this one is 115A/C.  He installed a real fridge, mine is more of an electric "cooler".
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ted Pounds

The PO on my boat installed a Norcold under the nav table.  The nice thing about it is it runs on 12v and 110v.  So it works at dock and underway.  It's not well insulated but generally I like it.   :)

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

For those of you who choose the put a fridge under the nav station:

What do you use the former "icebox" for?

We've filled our nav station "foot space" with an inverter / charger, and our wastebasket.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

s michel

I'm back again...if anyone has e-mailed me and not gotten a reply please e-mail again. I apparently had a virus on c-drive and had to scrap a months worth of notes.

STEVE

Ted Pounds

Stu,

I use the "ice-box" as dry locker for cereal, paper products, cans, etc.  My charger is in a nice cabinet PO built on top of the nav station locker (also has radios and other stuff).   Wastebasket I keep behind companionway stairs on top of engine.

Ted

Susie Johnson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted Pounds,  Molly Rose #447:
The PO on my boat installed a Norcold under the nav table.  The nice thing about it is it runs on 12v and 110v.  So it works at dock and underway.  It's not well insulated but generally I like it.   :)

Ted<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Susie Johnson

Curious to know what model Norcold you have.  We've measured under the Nav table of our 87 C-34 and don't think we can get a Norcold to fit.  Can you fill us in on details.  Also what is a PO?  Thanks

Susie Johnson

How does the Kenmore work with the top cut out?  Can you send details on the installation.  We're thinking of doing the same thing.

Ted Pounds

Susie,

PO stands for Previous Owner.  Sorry I don't know what model of Norcold it is; the info is on the boat and I'm not :(.  I'll be out there Wed and I'll look it up.  I suspect they make only one model that fits under the nav table.   I don't know if the PO made any mods to get it to fit.  If there were any support braces for the table they were removed.  Another nice thing about it - there is a pin that fits in the door to hold it closed on a port tack. :cool:

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ted Pounds

Susie,

I just looked in my West Marine catalog.  I think the model is the DE-451 which has been replaced with the DE-0051, but that's just a guess.  I'll know for sure when I check on Wed.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ted Pounds

Susie,

I forgot to check my refridgerator info on the boat last night.  :o I got all caught up in the excitment of the race (probably because we placed second and were the overall winner in the yacht club's Summer Breeze Series :cool:).   I hope to get out this weekend (If I don't get called in to work) and I'll try to remember then.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ted Pounds

Finally got to spend some time on the boat.  The fridge is a Norcold DE-250G.  I don't know what the equivalent current model is, but i'm sure someone at Norcold could tell you.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447