Props

Previous topic - Next topic

sail4dale

Anyone have experience with the Kiwi feathering prop?  It is priced well and seems to be engineered  well, but the blades are plastic ????  Reportedly easier to individually feather with low mass.

The other choices seem to be Autoprop, Martec, Flexofold.  Feathering props seem to get pricey and I do want to stay in a 3 blade type.  I'm spoiled with motoring a 3 blade fixed but bummed out with the drag while sailing.

How about a stainless prop on a bronze shaft?  keeping it properly zinced? OK?

Input! :confused:

Ray & Sandy Erps

As to the dissimilar metals underwater, my previous boat had a bronze prop on a SS shaft.  I kept it zinced for the ten years I had it, but eventually had to replace the prop because of the electrolisis.  The boat was at least 25 years old though, so maybe I did okay on the life expectancy of the prop.  My current boat has a bronze prop on a bronze shaft and I still keep it zinced, but sleep better at night knowing the two metals are close together on that "galvanic chart" thingy.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

jentine

Have you considered the Flex-O-Fold three bladed folding prop.  It will certainly be less expensive than any of the props you mentioned and has a proven track record.  
I had a stainless shaft installed about 10 years ago and use a bronze prop without any galvanic action to anything other than the "zincs".
Jim Kane

Ted Pounds

I've been very happy with my Flex O Fold
three blade prop.   Do a find on "Flex O Fold" and you will see some of my (and other) posts on the subject.

Ted

P.S.  Stu, How do you cut and paste URL's into these replies?
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

jentine

Ted, using your mouse, highlight the URL you wish to copy, press control "c" (this copies the text), open the reply page and place the cursor where you want the URL to go and press control "v"  (press together)http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=955603911&r=165603911#165603911 and the trail to the May 2, 2003 props thread is is place.
Jim Kane

Ted Pounds

Jim,

Thanks.  I always used the edit pull down menu at the top of the page which isn't availble with "Post A Reply".  I never paid attention to the ctrl characters that were listed there.   :o

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

I'm very happy with the Campbell Sailor Prop I put on last spring.  More thrust than the Michigan 3 blade it replaced.  Less drag sailing, less prop walk in reverse.  Much less expensive an option than any of the feathering models.  An aquaintance at work installed the Kiwi over the winter.  Hasn't tried it out yet will report when he does.  More info on the Campbell at http://www.westbynorth.com  Norm was extremely helpful.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

john daley

I have had a kiwi feather prop on "Trader Jack" since new. Its fantastic. Probably the biggest bonus for me is the immediate response I get either in forward or reverse - but particularly reversing into my slip. Last year up at Great Barrier Island in very bad weather I swerved to avoid branches in the water and sadly discovered with a loud bang that the rest of the tree was submerged. We were able to get home OK but on lifting the boat the shaft aft of the strut was bent quite badly, but the only real damage to the prop was a bit the size of a dime (?) out of the corner of one plastic blade. The blades were a bit out of alignment too. However that was easily fixed. I took the chance while the Kiwi prop was off to try a fixed 3 blade prop that was supposedly the correct specs for my boat. I got the fright of my life with the lack of response from it when needing to do tight manouvres.
John Blundell who designed them is a very experienced engineer and yachtsman. Its probably hard to believe, but he and an assistant assemble everyone by hand from precision parts they get factory made. The workshop is attached to the house!! Despite the sound of that its a very professional operation and John takes a personal interest in anything related to the props. ( If it sounds as though I have a stake in the company,  I don't!!)

I think the philosophy of the design is excellent in that the blades flow with the water. I have no worries about the plastic which is real space-age stuff and very strong. I do find its important to clean the prop regularly through our summer months when we get a huge amount of marine growth but thats not a big deal.

sail4dale

Thanks for the input.  Sounds good.  Out of curiosity, What speed do you get motoring (flat water)?  With my three blade fixed I get 7.5 knots at about 2900 RPM.  Yes, I cross-checked with my GPS.

john daley

In regard to speed, to be honest I haven't really trialled it recently. I would probably have a different engine to yours - we have the Yanmar 3GM. But I'd be surprised if I was getting 7.5 - probably closer to 6.5 knots .But I do have some issues over my controls at the moment plus I've probably got way too much junk on board weighing us down!! If we get some smooth water next weekend I'll give it a try and let you know. I've just about given up using my ST60 speed instrument because it gets weeded up so quickly and its so much more accurate to get the S.O.G. off the GPS.

john daley

Go to www.kiwiprops.co.nz  They have an excellent set of testimonials listed under a wide range of boats, brands, sizes etc.
Good sailing
John

paule

what is the cost of the kiwi prop.  Ther is not a price on the web page.

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

rappareems

Very pleased with the flex-o-fold; make sure it is not to far aft of your strut as it may stress it.  I think Ron Hill says something like 1/2" very close indeed.  Superior performance.

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

john daley

Paul,
I'm not extly sure on cost and of course it may well be much different over your way. I believe I paid around $NZ 1600 - 1700, but I have the hometown advantage. That would be approx. $US1050.Why don't you email John through his web site - I'm sure he'll get back to you quickly with price and local agent.

fairwinds

To all interested parties,
I contacted John regarding price for his prop. The following was his response:

"Jeff,
Thanks for your interest in our props,
Attached is a copy of the warranty with space requirements, attachment specs and order information. Your shafts will all be  to SAE taper standards - so attachment will no problem. We have fitted a number of Catalina's down here.
I presume your engine is  the 33 hp model at 3000 rpm on a 2.14:1 reduction - yet this does not sound right for your  15" x  10" prop - presumably a fixed 2 bladed unit.
Normal retail price  US $ 1250 delivered.
We have dealers in Toronto and Vancouver and  are currently negotiating with a large national San Diego distributor. Until the outcome from this is determined we are reluctant to appoint new dealers.
We also find that today many are prepared to deal direct over the internet and receive the benefits of a low cost distribution channel. However we have an open mind on the dealer issue.
We are very happy to offer discounts to a national association such as yours, but they would be dependent upon the volume of orders, and the extent to which the bulk order would lower our costs - which may not be that much. The New Zealand dollar has appreciated over 50 % vs the US $  in the last two years which has reduced our returns substantially.
We would be very happy to offer a 10 % discount to members of the owner's association - but in return they must be ordered together to allow us to assemble similar units at the same time.  Quite happy to ship and be paid for separately as at present.
Let's know what you think of the above.
Cheers, John Blundell
Phone:  +64  9  5757  975  GMT  +13 hrs"

If anyone is interested in ordering, let me know and I'll coordinate the order with John. Email me at jtmat1@earthlink.net and use 'kiwi prop' in the subject line. Since John wants one order I would expect it may be a month before the order is placed. That way anyone with an interest has time to consider it.
Jeff