Sailing characterstics of the cat. 34 in heavy air ?

Previous topic - Next topic

roger

I'm looking at a 2001 cat. 34, wing keel, and was curious how the boat handles in 30-35 knots of wind and 6-10 foot seas?

Stu Jackson

Roger

Try this from our FAQ section:

http://c34.org/faq-pages/faq-offshore.html

Also check out more of the FAQs, there's one about fin vs. wing keels.

Please do some reading.  It IS a HUGE website, but we've covered a lot of your questions already.

Use the search engine on the main website and the FIND feature on the message board.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

hdevera

Roger,
I have a 2001 model with a wing keel.  Have been out singlehanded in 30 kts and have had no problems.  In Northern CA, the winds are typically 20+ kts and the Catalina 34 is alot of fun to sail.  My previous boat was a Valiant 42 and although not as good in heavy weather, my 34 does just fine.  I just reef early.

roger

Hal,

Thanks for your response. Looks like you're having a great ride in the picture!

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Roger,

Welcome aboard.  We've got an '88 wing, and find the boat does pretty well in heavy weather.  We've got two sets of reef points in the main.  Unless we've got passengers on board, we don't normally reef until 18-20 knots.  For beating in heavy air, we sail under reefed main and reefed jib; and we've also had good success motorsailing under reefed main alone.  We've found the boat to be much better mannered motorsailing to windward in heavy weather with at least a double-reefed main up than under bare poles.  Our recommendation would be to use the main as the primary heavy weather sail, as this managages rig stress well.  We do not have a trysail, storm jib or running backstays.  We have noted that the boat is not completely "solid" in large (8-10'), short-period chop; nothing unnerving, mind you--just a feel similar to our old Catalina 25 (hull flexing, parts moving a bit, etc).  This is due, no doubt, to the boat being slammed down 4 feet or so as the bow falls off a wave and the boat teetertotters into the next trough.  No problem shipping water over the deck and keeping the cockpit dry, she sheds nicely.  If beating isn't required, she'll always run-off or heave-to nicely.

Our '34 is a great family boat!  Would definitely recommend it, and think the most important part of dealing with weather is seamanship, not the boat.  Besides, I always feel safer on a sailboat than a powerboat during a rough ride...

Best of luck!

Mike

Gene Regan

Roger,
   Mikes is right, knowing your boat
and proper management of your sail plan is essential is sailing in heavy weather. Having sailed Cape Dory's and Hunters I can tell you that the c34 is a reliable boat in most modertae to heavy air conditions and responds well in 25 plus conditions. I remember having to reef The hunter once wind went above 15 ,and dont do that till we hit 20 now, The Cape Dory was a wonderful boat in heavy air but wet ride was an inherent condition .
   The reliability of the c34 is is good and the rig is heafty enough to take the loads if properly trimed , so go out and have fun,heavey air is better than no air

Happy Holidays
Gene Regan
713 Freedom

gene regan