Isoflex engine mounts

Previous topic - Next topic

robbjd

I'm looking for advice on new engine mounts for our 97 Mk2. The original Westerbeke mounts are severely deteriorated and need to be replaced. To replace with the same mount would cost $1600+, Isoflex makes a mount with the same bolt spacing and load characteristics which would cost ~$900. Has anyone used Isoflex mounts? If so how do they perform?
The mounts are still doing their job, there is very little engine vibration or movement but the transmission is coming out due to operator inflicted damage so it's a good time for new mounts and damper plate.
Current mount= Westerbeke 40510
Replacement = Isoflex IFV75
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Ron Hill

rob : WOW!! You 're right about that - your mounts DEFINATELY need to be replaced!!  Why not look at Vetus??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

robbjd

Ron, the Westerbeke mounts have a 5 inch mounting "bolt" spacing. Rather than drill 8 new holes in the stringers I'd like to replace these mounts with ones with the same footprint.
John
S/V Mystic
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

MooseDriver78

Rob, how many hours do you have on your engine?
1997 Catalina 34 MKII "Honu"
Hull# 1351
Universal M35AC

robbjd

Our engine has 1861 hours. It's a freshwater boat so it's in great shape but the mounts need to go while I have the tranny rebuilt.
S/V Mystic
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Ron Hill

rob : Look around the internet, because I doubt that Westerbeke makes their own engine mounts!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 02, 2024, 01:08:52 PMrob : Look around the internet, because I doubt that Westerbeke makes their own engine mounts!!

A thought

I have hunted for "Westerbeke's" engine isolators for years and have not (yet) located the manufacturer.  I'm wondering if they are proprietary and who's making them.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: robbjd on October 01, 2024, 06:06:46 AMRon, the Westerbeke mounts have a 5 inch mounting "bolt" spacing. Rather than drill 8 new holes in the stringers I'd like to replace these mounts with ones with the same footprint.
John

John

If you are pulling the engine its no big deal  to epoxy-fill 8 holes and install the Vetus isolators and have something standard for the future and reasonable $ than find the $$$$ 5-inch ones.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

robbjd

Ken, I'm not pulling the engine to do transmission work.
According to Warren Pandy at Catalina ours was one of the few M35ACs that had the transmission bolted to an adapter plate from outside the bell housing.
My bigger issue is that I'm having hip replacement surgery in two weeks and boat comes out of the water tomorrow!
The mounts will have to wait until I can crawl again in the spring. Oceanic Innovations in Florida is going to be making a mount that will be a drop in. They're having some hurricane related issues right now so manufacturing has slowed/stopped.
John
S/V Mystic
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

KWKloeber

John

Understood!  Thx for the claificatrion  :D