JMP full bronze replacement raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

I have been working through raw water flow optimization ever since puchasing my boat.  The sherwood G908 that came with the boat was leaking rather significantly and due to the challenges many had reported, I swapped to the oberdorfer.  I have the m35 which with 4 cylinders seems to be a bit shy on flow so I am leaning towards going back to the sherwood.  That said, I have never been fond of the non bronze portions of the g908.  In searching I found that JMP makes an all bronze replacement of their own (albeit slightly modified).  Has anyone fitted this on their boat or does anyome know of someone who has?  My main concerns revolve around locating an impellor when needed.   

https://www.jmpusamarine.com/products/jpr-wb7108-jmp-marine-westerbeke-replacement-engine-cooling-seawater-pump/
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Alex : It sure looks good, but didn't see how it attached to the engine?!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

There are some brackets with through bolts that hold it in place.  It is exactly the same as what the orginal sherwood used to hold it to the block.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Alex

The old iron body Sherwood G908 is NLA, and the replacement Sw bronze body pump is also discontinued.
Westerbeke has its own "new" round base pump ($$$$)

See
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/message/114295

Someone on here reportedly installed the JMP —- but shoutouts about it have gone unreturned.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KeelsonGraham

The JMP pump is really good. I installed one at the beginning of the season. Everything mates up nicely and the casting quality looks good. Nice also to have an all-bronze unit.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

KWKloeber

Quote from: KeelsonGraham on September 24, 2024, 03:45:38 PMThe JMP pump is really good. I installed one at the beginning of the season. Everything mates up nicely and the casting quality looks good. Nice also to have an all-bronze unit.

Keelson

Do you notice anything different about that pump, guts-wise?

JMP claimes that the innards are upgraded from Sherwood's but they haven't yet explained what,  exactly, is upgraded whitchaway.  Impeller?  Bearing?  Shaft?  Seals? 
It's all rather mushy what the distributor is claiming. 
Surely it cannot be just empty talk from a marine manufacturer/supplier!

Thx
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

waughoo

Keelson,

Glad to hear of a first hand user.  Is the impellor specific to JMP or will the stock sherwood impellor slot in?  One of my concerns is getting an impellor.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Alex
JMP told me that the impeller specific 

There should not a problem getting impellers from the USA distributor and one of the several dealers.

waughoo

Ken,

Curious... at least that answers the question about SOME-thing thats different.  Thanks for the info Ken.

Alex
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte