V-Berth storage ideas

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Ewing

I'm looking for ways to add clothes storage to the cabinet tops in the v-berth. The problem I'm trying to solve is living out of bags when staying on the boat for a few nights or longer. I didn't see anything in the wiki.

What have others done to that area? It could be as simple as adding plastic milk crates or basic shelves.  I need something that'll be secure when under way but doesn't feel like it's filling up the space like a cabinet would.  It'll also need to support air circulation to minimize "boat smell" on clothes, which is an advantage of keeping clothes in a bag.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Noah

I have a bunch of these waterproof o-ring sealed plastic storage bins. They fit nicely several to a self. I bought them at Home Depot. Would show more set-up on shelves, but boat is a torn-up mess right now. I am hauling out tomorrow for bottom painting so V-berth is full of stuff.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Kyle : I wrote a Mainsheet Article back in the 1990s where I use 4 "submarine laundry bags" (2 on a side) that hung from the underneath trim. There was a picture also.  I got the bags from Institute for the blind ? they were seconds from a government contract. $5 each?  I had all of my underwear & T shirts in one and a couple of sweaters and turtle necks in the other.
They hung and touched the sides, and the extra storage was great!! I had also added 3 sub bags to the starboard side of the aft cabin for more storage!

Also I added an extra shelf above the Catalina shelf in the Vberth.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

MooseDriver78

We use mini hammocks on either side of the v berth for our clothes. They hold about 4 days worth of clothes and keep other stuff on the shelves behind them from flying around when we really heel over.
1997 Catalina 34 MKII "Honu"
Hull# 1351
Universal M35AC

Kyle Ewing

Thanks, Noah, Ron and MooseDriver.  I use plastic storage bins but typically put them under settees or in lazarettes. 

The "submarine laundry bag" idea is what I'm looking for!  It pointed me to "bunk bags", "foldable fabric bin" and "wall hanging organizer bag".  They'll add color and texture and can be stowed away when not needed.

There's a huge selection on Amazon and other sources so I'm interested in what others have used given our boats' dimensions.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

waughoo

When you get some and try them out, report back on what worked.  I too would love to "move in" when we take longer trips.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

@Alex

I know this has nothing to do with the set up of the C34 vee cabin, but see the two clothing drawers and two cubby spaces that I added to my vee (I just needed to show them off to someone who will look at them!!!  :rolling  :rolling )

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

They look fine indeed Ken!!  I would like to implement something like that in my Vee.  There is a LOT of lost space up there.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Obviously the pics are a work in progress  — I hadn't taken pics of the completed project.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Shamrock is a MKII so a little different, here's what works for me. 
I do as Noah, have clear plastic storage bins that fit well on the forward shelf.  Shop for ones that fit well and are easy to get into.  I don't hold them in place with more than the fid on the shelf, can't remember them ever getting out of place.  I also cut a shelf to fit on the ledges below the v-berth filler, find that very useful for shoes and other clutter. 
I've cruised for over 2 months at a time with doing laundry only when very convenient.  I pack lots of underwear, shorts, t-shirts, 2 pair of socks and a couple Hawaiian shirts. That works for me.
Jim 
FYI,  I got some moving bags from Amazon that are very useful for moving soft goods on and off.  About 18 inches square and 3 feet long with a long zipper and handles.  Great for clothes, bedding, towels, pillows, etc.  IMHO sure beats trash bags.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA