New Owner Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

krafty81

Great forum! Just started lurking...

Just put a deposit on a very nice 2007 Catalina 34 MK II. Questions.

- What to double check with the marine survey - I will be there.
- Is there an owners manual online?
- 700 hours on engine - survey required?
- Furling main - what to check
- Any other "gotchas?"

It has been sailing here in SD and I will keep it here.
2007 Catalina 34 Mk II, Hull #1786

AndyBC

Congrats!  Exciting times.

Yes the owners manual can be found in the Tech Wiki here under Documents

Yes you should always have a mechanical survey done (including oil sample analysis) as part of the purchase process, regardless of the engine hours.  It'll be the best bang for the buck you'll ever spend on the boat.

A few thoughts off the top of my head RE key things to look for during the survey:
-Through hulls in good condition and seacocks move freely?  I have 7 on my MK2
-Condition of the engine mounts?
-Holding tank & hoses not leaking?  Would suck to replace these
-Fuel tank not leaking?  This would also suck to replace but usually a surveyor wouldn't have access to this unfortunately, unless the owner allows the surveyor to remove one of the cabin aft panels to inspect it
-Hot water tank not leaking?
-How old is the dripless bellows (apparently should be replaced every 6-7 years).  If no dripless shaft seal, is the shaft log hose in good shape and stuffing box not leaking excessively at rest?
-When I was boat shopping, I always looked at the bilge: is it dry and clean, or is it full of swampy liquid?  I also looked at the engine bilge: clean or dirty?
-Condition of standing rigging?
-Condition of the sails?
-Any soft spots on the deck, evidence of water intrusion?  Chain plates and area under steering pedestal are two important places to check
-Underside: any blisters? cutlass bearing good? keel: any evidence of grounding or separation?
-Lastly ask the owner for a maintenance log.  A good owner should have one, which will give you insight into how the boat has been maintained.
1998 C34 MKII #1394 - M35BC, WK

Jim Hardesty

QuoteJust put a deposit on a very nice 2007 Catalina 34 MK II. Questions.

Congratulations!  Hope you enjoy her as much as I enjoy Shamrock.  Andy's list is pretty complete.  Catalina delt with most of the "critical updates" listed here on late model MKIIs.  Don't be disappointed by lack of a Maintenace log, brokers I know tell the owners to get rid of them, only bring up questions.  I do keep a detailed maintenance log. 
Sounds like the boat had light use, that's both good and bad, a lot of small problems may show up at first.  Just be prepared to deal with them and don't get discouraged.  Catalina is great at parts being available and of course lots of help here.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

krafty81

Thanks so much - great list! I did look at all the bilges and they looked good.

scgunner

krafty,

The owners manual should come with the boat along with a maintenance manual for the motor usually kept in the nav station. If it's missing I'd want to know why. At 700hrs the motor is basically just broken in. You should be able to tell if there's a problem with the furler during the test sail. It wouldn't be a bad idea to remove both panels in the aft cabin before the surveyor gets there.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Phil Spicer

Welcome aboard Andy:
This is a great place. Best help in a hurry. Enjoy your new boat, the adventure begins
    Phil
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

krafty81

New question - are there special sheets for the fore and aft berths? Recommendations?

Noah

You can make them, pay someone to make them or buy them already made from "The Catalina Yacht Store" online. That is where I bought mine.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

robbjd

Our 97 Mk2 came with comfortable mattresses forward and aft with good quality mattress protectors. We bought inexpensive king size sheets for both berths, and just tuck in any excess.
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Jim Hardesty

Shamrock came with a vberth mattress toper and fitted sheet that the PO had just purchased from "Tuffted Topers"  I really like them.  Did take a few tries to figure out how to put them on easily.  Marked the bow end and it's no problem putting them on.  I don't think that company is business anymore, shame.  As Noah said "Catalina Yacht Store" sells the fitted sheets.  A word of caution that's different than "Catalina Direct" many people confuse the two.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Krafty : We made our own tailored sheets(regular & flannel) ourselves.  Easy to do!!  :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ron: sure, easy if you have a sewing machine and/or lots of time on your hands (literally).  ;-)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

krafty81

Survey, test sail, haul out, mech survey complete. 2007 Catalina 34 MK II in great shape. Following issues ID'd. 
 - Engine mounts bad - excessive vibration at idle
- Shaft seal leaks too much
- Zinc need to be replaced on prop
- Fuel filter bracket broken
- Some wiring secured with wing nuts vice marine connections
- No input to Ray marine console from windbird, direction or velocity
- No engine alarms at helm
- no bilge alarm
- No alarms for smoke, CO2, bilge

Sails and rigging look good, rest of the boat in good shape.

Thanks for your comments, I was ready today!

Jim Hardesty

krafty81,
Sounds like your going to buy.  Congratulations!
My 2cents on the survey
Engine mounts maybe maybe not  I'd look close before changing. 
shaft seal is just maintenance.  May be time for new packing.
Zinks are maintenance.
Fuel filter bracket.  In the back of my mind think there was a factory, Westerbake, notice about that.  Caused by lack of radius on the stamping.
Not sure what is up with the wing nut.
Wind instrument not working.  Hope that's a bad plug or connection.
No engine alarms.  For me that was the alarm buzzer.  Changed to a generic louder one.
Alarms I don't have a bilge alarm, don't think it's necessary.  I do have a CO alarm, put that in when I bought my Honda generator.
That's just my thoughts while having my second cup of coffee.
Consider putting your boat information in your signature.  Helps getting the right answer.  Also your home port, location helps with answers and you just might find a nearby sister ship.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

@krafty81

Sounds like a sweet boat cha got dere!

Which engine is in her -- a "B" I presume -- there could be other whatchoutfors in the factory bulletins that your surveyor might not be aware of.

There is a trove of boat Owner and Engine Owner and Parts and Service Manuals and Kubota Parts Manuals on the TechWiki Site.

Be aware if the engine isolators need to be replaced you might have to open a new line of credit.  The mounting fitment on the OEM B-engine isolators is non-standard so, without doing a dance to make the K75s (about $320 for 4) work, you're stuck with the Westerbeke ripoffs at ~$425 (that's X 4, not total cost) + labor.  I would think about negotiating that into the final closing price.

How is the engine harness?
No engine alarms at the helm sounds fishy.  Obviously, low oil pressure and high temp alarms should be working.  It is not unusual for the harness to be the issue (you will learn that Westerbeke installed a crappy wiring harness and a convoluted wiring scheme on B engines.)  With the "Westerbeke system" it can be a frustrating nightmare to troubleshoot the cause of and fix the no-alarm situation, or it could be an easy fix.  It's a 50-50 shot.

Pictures?!

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain