Hard dodger

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

I figured I'd start a topic to brain storm with the group on my upcoming hard dodger build. I'm toying with the idea to have the main sheet changed to an end boom design and putting the blocks up on the dodger. Any thoughts? Pros and cons?

The C34 traveller is already one of the things that needs to be redone with thru bolting so that for me is a pro. End boom sheeting is easier on the boom, specially since I have a loose footed fueling main. I could remove the "pedestals" holding the oem traveller, I'd gain better visibility too.

Cons would be that it's a modification I can reverse (specially if I remove the pedestals). The arch within the dodger would have to be build a lot stronger to withstand the loads of the main.

That's just to get the conversation going.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Noah

Based upon your hull number, your traveller should already be factory thru-bolted where required, I believe.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThe C34 traveller is already one of the things that needs to be redone with thru bolting so that for me is a pro. End boom sheeting is easier on the boom, specially since I have a loose footed fueling main. I could remove the "pedestals" holding the oem traveller, I'd gain better visibility too.

Sounds like what Hunter did with their arches. I think you need a robust frame to handle the loads.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Noah's right about the bolts.

To your OP, Why bother?  You're putting a huge unnecessary load on your new dodger, which wouldn't be half as complicated to build without it. 

Traveler control lines through forward dodger glazing:  A lot of folks have slits because the cam cleat are up on the traveler.  I got Garhauer to modify my end cars with turning sheaves and run the control lines through simple single holes in the glazing, put the cam cleats on the aft edge of the cabintop.  Simplifies your dodger build, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Antoni : Your traveler (like Noah said) IS Thru Bolted!! 
You have a tall rig with 2 more ft of sail so the load on your dodger will even be greater than that of a regular C34!!  Might leave BEST alone!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

I think it might be a good idea.  It would be a design challenge, but fpr some of us, those are quite entertaining and rewarding.  My thoughts about it revolve around the height of the hard dodger for walking clearance vs the boom height.  Im not sure there is much clearance for a traveler and a main sheet at stand up height.  With you having a retrofit mast furled main, you might want to explore a high cut klew adjustment to the main sail to allow this clearance. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

I agree with Waughoo: even if you solved the strength engineering issue for end-boom traveller or blocks on top of a hard dodger, I would be worried boom height. You would have to raise the boom, which would mean reworking gooseneck and end-up with less sail area or a very odd boom angle and sail shape, or have a hard dodger with no standing room under it.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

However you go this is going to be a major project I don't see the point of unnecessarily complicating it by moving the traveler to the dodger top. It seems like it would be much more awkward standing up working off the top of the dodger rather than crouched in the cockpit where you can get really good purchase. Without the traveler the dodger only has to support itself with traveler it also has to support an undetermined sailing load and as we know that load has the ability to rip an unmodified traveler right off the deck. I'm not saying you can't do it I'm just wondering if you should do it.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

LogoFreak

So I've looked at my dodger and heights and how it could all work and I'm arriving at the same conclusion you're all getting to. The boom actually extends past where the dodger is so it wouldn't be end boom sheeting anyway.

So I'm just going to make a fiberglass dodger and leave the running rigging as is.

Ron thank you for confirming that my traveller is thru bolted, one less thing I have to do.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179