Stay and Shroud Lengths

Previous topic - Next topic

JoyRide2.0

An upcoming project is to re-bed the chain plates on JoyRide. Then, swap-out the standing rigging. I am hoping to do this while still in the water. The Catalina 34 Manual provides stay and shroud lengths. I was wondering if anyone has used those figures to order new ones.

Kirk
JoyRide
1991 C34 1173
Kirk S Jockell
JoyRide
1991 C34 #1173
M-25XP

Noah

I have and those measurements worked fine. BTW-Rebedding the chainplates was one of the most frusting/fiddely "simple"projects I have done on my boat, and I have done a lot of projects over the years. Starting with having to break 4 acorn nuts, having to buying large short handle wrenches and sockets, to dropping one of the tension rod nuts into the void space. Also, sourcing new round head slotted bolts to replace old ones was a PIA. I finally did prevail and successfully completed the job. I recommend using butyl tape. Have fun!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

I didnt have nearly as much challenge as Noah related, but it is a bit fiddly.  When I did mine, I added an epoxy slurry barrier between the deck and liner to keep any leaks out of the plywood core.  I used butyl tapye and so far they have stayed completely dry after 2 years.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

I did drill oversized holes and fill holes with epoxy, then re-drilled holes to fit new bolts. This is "drill/fill/re-drill" is my standard process for all items bolted through the deck of my boat.
Standard Rig

JoyRide2.0

Thanks, y'all!
And those acorn nuts will get a few days of PB Blaster soaking! I so appreciate everyone and this organization.

Kirk
JoyRide2.0
1991 Mk 1.5 #1171
Kirk S Jockell
JoyRide
1991 C34 #1173
M-25XP

Stu Jackson

If you can't get the acorn nuts off, get a "nut splitter."  I used one to get the acorn nuts off my handrails inside the boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Yes on nut splitter. Although you can do this entire job solo, including reaching through the port hole to tighten bolts, it is much easier to do with a helper. Using the nut splitter solo can be hard to jigger and is quite a shock when nuts split and tool goes flying!
Standard Rig