Large Jib Question

Previous topic - Next topic

LollyLom

For those sailing enthusiasts who swear by a larger Genoa, what are some tangible benefits you've realized when you switched from a 135 to a 150/155 Genoa? Also, could this change significantly influence the boat's balance, speed or overall performance?

___
This message was posted with XRumer 23 StrongAI - the world-best software for mass posting, registering, captchas solving

Ted Pounds

More sail area equals more drive in lighter air.   Where do you sail?  Best to talk to local sailers, especially ones with the same size boat.  Even better is to work with a local sailmaker.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Sailing_Sona_Linn

When we got the boat, it came with the 155 - common in the Great Lakes. The main challenge I have with mine is forward visibility under sail. I frequently furl it up when there is traffic so I can see where I am going. When I replace it, I will replace with a 135 that is higher cut.
Chris & Kari Fuller
Sona Linn
1986 #41

Jim Hardesty

Quote from: Sailing_Sona_Linn on July 30, 2024, 05:46:09 AMWhen we got the boat, it came with the 155 - common in the Great Lakes. The main challenge I have with mine is forward visibility under sail. I frequently furl it up when there is traffic so I can see where I am going. When I replace it, I will replace with a 135 that is higher cut.

One thing that may work is if your jib can be raised by the halyard a foot or so make a pendant for the tack and raise the jib.  You can start with a short line and a couple of bowlines.  If you like it make up a wire one or do some eye splices.
Also when you have the new sail made let the sail maker know you want a high clew not just the size.  I had a 140 made and the clew is lower than I'd like and visibility is not good.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Sailing_Sona_Linn

Thanks Jim- I'll have a look next time I am at the boat. Also good advice on the higher clew vs.  size.
Chris & Kari Fuller
Sona Linn
1986 #41

scgunner

Chris,

Depends on where you sail, if 155s are common where you sail it's probably considered a light airs area. If that's the case there are probably more tall rigs in your area. If you sail in an area like San Fran Bay with heavy airs you'll see more shorter rigs with smaller sails. There are always tradeoffs between large and small sails. The high cut 135 provides better forward vision but performance will be reduced, a 155 deck sweeper is a great performer however visibility from the cockpit is reduced and peeking around, falling off, or heading up may be necessary to maintain good visibility. You'll have to decide which sail works best for you. FYI when I was racing I had a 155 deck sweeper which I recently replaced with a high cut 135 since I'm no longer racing.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

There is a 101 Topic on Jib Size Selection:  https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7704.0.html

As noted in the first post, the link to the original sbo discussion doesn't work anymore, so that content was lost, but there is plenty to ponder on in the ensuing discussion on those two pages in that link's remaining discussion.

In reply #15 on page 2, I wrote:

I did NOT write a lot of that content in that link, but merely provided it for thought since this issue comes up so often, so very, very often.  I also, IIRC, explained my pleasure and reasons for the small(er) headsails I have successfully been using for the past 18 years.  There is competing evidence that smaller headsails are not always slower and that bigger headsails are not always faster, in addition to the issue of the variety of wind speeds in which the smaller headsails can be flown safely.

That remains true.  And is reflected in the contributions there.

You originally asked:  ...what are some tangible benefits you've realized when you switched from a 135 to a 150/155 Genoa?

From what I've read here and over the years, the MAIN answer is concern over visibility, which can well be a life saving event in terms of avoiding a boat collision.

Some consider light air performance with a 155 a benefit.  Others disagree because the range of wind speed a 155 offers a much less than a 135 or 130 (SF Bay racing max) or even a 120 or my stock 110.

Those advantages and disadvantages are all discussed in the links.  Happy reading.

Boat balance with different sized jibs depends on wind speed.

Here's another one:  https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/150-genoa-vs-135.1249938590/?highlight=+jib+siZe
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lolly : As Kevin said - the key is "Where you sail" - how heavy the winds are?

Depending on the luff length you may or may not be able to add a pennant to raise the tack of the sail??
You might be able to have a sailmaker modify that sail?!? and maybe the condition? of that sail the sailmaker might tell you "it's not worth the $$" !!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

I'll chime in. I ordered all new sails for my C34 and decided to go with 135 for the Genoa, I don't see the point in reefing a 155 (down to let's say a 135) for higher winds, in lighter winds where the 155 might be a good fit I use a gennaker which works better anyway. My north sails Helix points almost as high as a Genoa anyway, being on a furler it's just as easy to use as a Genoa as well.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179