Shower sump pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Baysider

I'm getting to a number of projects and will be opening a few topics, but here's the first.  I'm replacing a very heavy shower sump pump that hasn't worked since I bought my 34. It's likely original to the boat and looks nothing like the Jabsco PARs that are used now. It's screwed on to a chunk of wood which is not attached/glued to anything.  It's in the small compartment with the thru hulls behind the head sink.  My guess is that the wood block was once glued to the hull.  I have a Jabsco PAR, with strainer, and would like to know how the pump is attached in other 34s.  If it's screwed to a board what kind of glue would be used to attach to the hull?  Thanks so much.
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Safe Harbor Willsboro Marina
Lake Champlain, NY

KWKloeber

Epoxy resin/hardener with microfibers thickener.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Bay : The original OEM shower sump pump was a diaphragm pump not a rotary pump.

You need to epoxy your piece of wood to the hull under the toilet paper compartment. Just make sure that you can get at the filter/strainer on your PAR pump because it will fill with junk that needs to be removed periodically.

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

This is the pump I have. It is a bit pricey, but works great and is a lot quieter. It also can handle "debris" very well. I haven't ever had it clog.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Baysider

Thanks everyone for your input. 

Ron: The pump which is currently installed but inoperable is indeed a diaphragm pump so it's OEM and somewhere in the past 34 years it seized.  I guess they don't last forever.  I'm just hoping my new PAR will last a good long time.  I'll use epoxy to attach a new chunk of wood as you and KW suggest.  What would you suggest to clean the hull surface?
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Lake Champlain, NY

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Baysider on July 03, 2024, 03:59:08 PMWhat would you suggest to clean the hull surface?

Acetone.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

For a tasty treat: add a dash of 80 grit sandpaper along with Stu's acetone cocktail ;-)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Bay : Don't know if you have or have not checked to make sure that there is power to the old pump - check the obvious first!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

@BSR

No picture of your hull condition, so "it depends."  I've seen some very cruddy looking hulls. 

If appropriate, before Noah's garni a scrub with detergent/augua solution followed by a rinse down.  Sandpaper and acetone cost 10 times what they ought to and no sense wasting them taking off plain ol' gunk.  Give the wood base the same pre-treatment as the hull (naturally make sure it is competent and not punky.)

A reason to use microfibers is it has very high adhesion property for wood and it is nearly as structural as colloidal silica (which is a pita to mix in.)   

Mix your resin/hardener and pre-brush the hull and wood w/ a light coat to provide a good bond.  Then mix in your microfibers and adhere them together. 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Baysider

Thanks everyone.  I'll be heading north to Champlain tomorrow AM and hope the installation goes well.  I appreciate all of the advice.
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Lake Champlain, NY