Engine Beds

Previous topic - Next topic

justinsteele

Hi, in my slow moving progress on restoring my boat I have the engine out and am working on new mounts. After getting everything cleaned up I noticed some cracking of the engine beds. From what I have read these are typically oak with gelcoat and maybe a little glass over them? Does that sounds right? Just wondering if this cracking is superficial and nothing to worry about or if I need to grind it all out and reglass it.

https://imgur.com/a/bn7z8cE
Justin Steele
Salem, Ma
1987 Catalina 34 WK
Hull #401
Universal M25XP

KWKloeber

Justin

The cracked/missing gel coat is just cosmetic but you'll want to probe with an icepick in those places and in/around the isolator mounting holes to ensure that the stringers are competent and not punky. 

Usually overkilling, IIWMB I'd drill a couple of holes thru the gel in the vicinity of the holes to probe underneath -- simply to convince myself that I have a good strong stringer there.  Unnecessary, probably, but ez peazy while you have such great access.   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Justin : You are right on in your discerption of the engine bed "rails".  You can check as Ken suggested, but mine were solid oak!!

Now's the time to change out your engine compartment insolation!! I used 1 1/4" and was very happy with it. Check Defender!!

A few thoughts   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788