engine room sound insulation

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete G

Any recommendations on replacement foam?  As part of my engine room refresh, I removed the originals - the PO ran the engine without a dipstick for a while.  :-\ 

I see some spendy foam panels at West Marine, wondering if there's a Home Depot option.

https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine-acoustical-foam-P006_180_006_004.html?queryID=ed9cfc140bde9815245ec09b9d2b1136&objectID=216866&indexName=production_na01_westmarine_demandware_net__WestMarine__products__en_US
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

Ron Hill

Pete : Look at Defender I was very pleased with their engine insulation!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Search our website using term "Soundown".
Defender sells "Soundown" which requires spray glue to install. West Marine's product is a similar make-up but it is peel and stick. Both come in a variety of thicknesses. Soundown comes in kits so sizing/measuring your space requirement is important. You may need 1-1/2 kits. Or a couple different thicknesses depending whether you are covering engine room doors , etc.  I believe you can buy the West Marine product in individual squares(?). Both work.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : I used screws with washers to in stall mine. Also I installed the 1 1/4 thick!!
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Whether you use the spray glue or sticky back insulation product, you should ALSO USE screws and washers. Also, I disagree with Ron regarding 1-1/4 inch thick. You will have difficulty fitting that thick of insulation in several locations inside the box—particularly on the removable stairs and opening door next to the alternator.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : I had to "work at it", but I got the 1 1/4" because it gives greater deadening of the sound!!  BTW, I only used screws & washers!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

csimmerling

Need to this this myself since the PO removed it all. Can anyone tell me which surfaces other than the doors and steps need it?
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

scgunner

I did the same thing as Ron did, I used 1-1/4" because nobody had 1-1/2". Yes there were some tight spots but I don't recall installation being particularly difficult. Also like Ron I used screws and washers which is how the original was installed. I don't recall the use of any adhesive on the original install which worked for me since I've never had much luck with glue in engine compartments.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Pete G

I ended up biting the bullet and went with the West Marine system. 
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH