Recommended Oil

Previous topic - Next topic

johnkountz

I noticed that the recommended oil is SAE 10W-40 (ref. http://c34.org/faq-pages/faq-filter-equivalents.html )

I could only find SAE 30 and SAE 15W-40.

I am considering the 15W-40 but I want to make sure this is OK for the Engine.

'89 #936 - Tranquility

johnkountz

My understanding is the most important thing is getting SAE diesel grade CF-4.

The multi-grade oils (10W40, 15W40, etc.) provide better lubrication at the temperature extremes. It's unclear to me there is any meaningful difference between 10W40 and 15W40.

Torresen Marine recommends 15W40 for the M25XP.

Here is a link to an FAQ for a Universal distributor

http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Atomic_4_Eng_Service/Frequently_Asked_Questions.htm

And finaly, here is a link to the Westerbeke FAQ on Oil for the Universal engine.

http://www.westerbeke.com/technical/faq.cfm#32

It states:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Use a well-known brand and try to use the same brand each time you change the oil. Avoid mixing brands of oil. Different manufacturers use different additives, and mixing brands may cause a problem if additives are not compatible. More important is to use the correct A.P.I. (American Petroleum Institute) and S.A.E. (Society of Automotive Engineers) ratings. For Westerbeke and Universal DIESEL models use A.P.I. code CF or CG-4, S.A.E. #30, 15W-40, 10W-30 or 5W-40. For Westerbeke GASOLINE models, use A.P.I. code SJ, S.A.E. #30, 15W-40, 10W-30 or 5W-40.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'89 #936 - Tranquility

[This message was edited by John Kountz '89 #936 "Tranquility" on November 15, 2003 at 09:16 PM.]

Stu Jackson

OIL

John

It sure seems to me that it depends on where you sail, how cold or warm the water is, and what time of year you're sailing.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, 30 weight.

Simple.

I don't think I need multi viscosity oil because the water is between 52.456 and 57.987 degrees F ALL year round.

If it's really cold where you are, then 10 - 40 or 15 - 30 or any multi-vis could be called for.

Once the engine's going, what's the issue?

Since we don't sail our boats INTO ENORMOUSLY DIFFERENT CONDITIONS ON A REGULAR BASIS (at least most of us) like we do our cars (spring trip from Chicgo to west of Denver: 90+ to below 30) what's the need to even consider mulit-vis oil.

Of course, you could consider doing an oil change in mid season from 10W to 30W when it gets hotter in the summer.

Also, all engines get warmer when they run.  But early engines ran just fine on single vicosity oils before they invented multi-vis.

Help me out to understand what difference it could possibly make.

Thanks,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

natty b

I have a Univeral 25 in my 87 Catalina and I checked with Universal and they recommended a 30 weight oil. They also recommended that it be a diesel oil, I think it is CE or CF rated. I am using a Shell oil that is diesel rated. Call Universal for all the particulars.

natty b

Went down to the boat. The oil that Universal recommends is one that has a C/C4 rating, 30 SAE. I use Shell Rotella 30. Hope that helps. Bob

Ray & Sandy Erps

I worked on diesel engines back in the early '80s.  Back then, Cummins recommeded a multi-viscosity oil because their engines didn't burn as much oil with it compared to a single grade oil.  That could save the truck driver $5/week.  It was something about the long molecular chains of the thickening agent didn't get past the piston rings as easily.  Me, I use single grade oil.  An old mechanic said "there's more oil in it".  They're building these new motors so well now days with nicely machined surfaces and tight tolerances that I think you could run fine on Wesson oil but that's better saved for drunken twister games. ;)
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA