Crack in aft cabin liner

Previous topic - Next topic

corapcarey

Our new to us 1986 C34 Mk1 shoal keel, has a crack in the liner, in the aft cabin, starboard side at the corner where it turns from the little bench to the actual bunk. The crack isn't reflected on the exterior of the hull, and the worst part is at the transition from bench to bunk. The crack also extends as a hairline along the corner of the bunk aft. It doesn't look new and I can't check to see what happens under load cause we are hauled for the season. Anyone else ever seen this?? It doesn't appear to be a bulkhead or structural per se but the liner is pretty beefy and definitely adds rigidity to the hull.
I'm kinda leaning to leaving it, and checking it under load next season unless someone has seen this before and I can intervene in the off season.

ewengstrom

That's an odd one. Probably not from any impact but I'm wondering...given that corners proximity to the hull if perhaps it was caused by the boat being blocked up at some time in the past and someone over tightened a stand and caused the hull to depress and put allot of pressure on that particular area...and then it cracked. I've seen some hulls depressed in this way and it's the only explanation I can come up with.
I'll be interested in what others offer up or if anyone has seen this before.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

scgunner

corapcarey,

An ancient stress crack that doesn't show, I'm sure you've got bigger fish to fry.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Guys : Eric has a good point. 

Make sure that when the yard positions the jack stand that they are at a bulkhead.  Just go along the hull and "thump the hull" with you knuckle. You'll hear a big deference when you come to the hull with a bulkhead on the inside!!

Also look at in your owners manual at the "shipping cradles and lifting points" - they are at bulkheads!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788