Install Outboard Lift

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelley Dean

Recently purchased a Garhauer Lifting Davit Engine Hoist LD 6-1 Short. I have a MK1 with stearn seats and a large bimini. Looking for ideas on where to install this. The seats and bimini may be an issue. See pics. Pictures would be great to see how others have installed this. Tired of climbing up and down the swim ladder with my 56 lb. outboard to the dinghy. Engine mounts on stern stb rail.
Kelley Dean

Andiamo #726
Narragansett Bay
Warwick, RI

Stu Jackson

Here's mine.  Inside the pushpit, you'd have to drill a hole in your perch seat.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

I can imagine that was a "fun" spot to install a back-up plate and to tighten nuts.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Kelly I installed mine on the same side as Stu, but put it on the outside of the pushpit!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kelley Dean

Thanks for the replies. Do you both keep it assembled full time? I was going to put it away till needed. Will probably use it 8-10 times a season.
Kelley Dean

Andiamo #726
Narragansett Bay
Warwick, RI

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThanks for the replies. Do you both keep it assembled full time? I was going to put it away till needed. Will probably use it 8-10 times a season.

Shamrock is a MKll so I didn't reply.  I remove the lift when not using.  It's easy and my stern rail is pretty full of stuff.  Found a bag that the lift fits into well enough that keeps it all together.  Fits into the port locker.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

joe feyder

I have a 1990 (MK1 w/ open transom) and also installed it on the starboard stern corner outside the cockpit rails.  I have a second collar with longer bolts attached to the upper cockpit rail to lessen overall stress with a single collar tied to the lower rail when 50+ pound outboard is on the lift.  Probably just belt and suspenders.  We keep the upper hoist section below when not in use.  Very easy to install.  The lower tube doubles as a flag holder. 

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on October 08, 2023, 11:16:08 AM
I can imagine that was a "fun" spot to install a back-up plate and to tighten nuts.

Noah,

Why?

I analyzed it and screws are just fine.  The pushpit ring keeps the tube in column, so it puts the deck fitting in compression.  And any small possible sideways load on the screws is just fine 'cuz they're in shear.  The deck fitting's goin' nowhere, bolts are not required.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Kelley Dean on October 08, 2023, 08:23:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. Do you both keep it assembled full time? I was going to put it away till needed. Will probably use it 8-10 times a season.

That's what I used to do.  Once I put it up when we started our trip up here in 2016 from SF I just left it up.  Not in the way, great grab hold.  Still just as shiny as that 2016 photo off Havens Neck anchorage in California.

Your boat, your choice.  :D

Ron Hill

Kelly : I take mine down when we're in port for some time. I fold up the top arm and take apart the vertical tube. I store it in the V berth hanging locker. Once we start on a cruise it stays up!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 09, 2023, 11:57:42 AM
Noah,

Why?

I think Noah was talking about access to the under side of the coaming to put the backing plate and nuts... but I could be wrong.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Yep, Alex. That is what I was talking about.
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on October 09, 2023, 01:40:10 PM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 09, 2023, 11:57:42 AM
Noah,

Why?

I think Noah was talking about access to the under side of the coaming to put the backing plate and nuts... but I could be wrong.

I fully understood.  I'm just telling you it is not required.  Screws are all that's necessary.

Noah

Stu, Screws? I was taking about the install and the yoga difficulty one might encounter reaching up there to install a backing plate and nuts. Maybe not a big deal on MKI with bigger lasserette.  I was Not talking about the ability to brake the unit down for storage. I assume once it is installed the base remains bolted to the boat and the pole is easily removed (by screws?) when storing it and the rest of the unit? Are those the screws you are talking about? I don't have a lift as I use a 2hp. Honda a can stand on my small sugar scoop while I R&R motor to dinghy.
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah : What Stu is saying is that all that all that is necessary are screws to hold the ball socket.  The weight load is vertical (down) and all the screw do is keep it in place laterally!!!   

Mine is screwed in and has been in place for over 15+ years and doing just fine!!!  :thumb:

a thought
Ron, Apache #788