Water ingress at Foot of the mast

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbo

Hello from Bonnie Scotland, Catalina 34 Mk 2 sail number 1362.
Now in my third season with my Catalina "Ailsa"
Proving to be a real friend, but I need advice on how to eradicate a leak at the foot of the mast, it trickles down the compression pillar and on to the saloon floor.
Any advice welcome
Regards
David G

Jim Hardesty

Hello David,
Was pleasantly surprised to hear of a Catalina 34 MKll in Scotland.  When I first had Shamrock had a similar problem, rainwater would go through the inside of the compression post and into the bilge.  Would also leak from the base of the mast onto the cabin deck for a day after a hard rain.  Found two issues, the drain hole at the mast, just above the step aft was plugged.  Was only about a quarter inch hole, I've since made that larger.  I think there was also a slot in the step for draining, also made that larger.  Second was the weather sealing on the wires as they go through a raised pipe.  I sealed that better when the mast was down. 
So I think if you poke around with a wire and get the accumulated water out of the mast.  Think that may stop leak.  Then when the mast is down take a look at the rest.
Hope that helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Some of our folks have filled the center of the step (that's there for the mast cables) so water is shed to the drain slots and can't sit on and attack the deck.

Seal the cables into the conduit with "electrician's putty" (available at a big box.)   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Gilbo

Thanks to both responders !
Really helpful, I will get the prodder out initially!
Not used to a deck stepped mast.
Best wishes
David G

KWKloeber

Where are you?  My sister-in-law hailed from the Allen clan in Dundee.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Hi Gilbo,
As I was getting ready to winterize thought of your problem and snaped a picture of the drain slot and hole increased to drain water trapped in the mast. 
Were you able to prod around and help the drainage?  Did that fix your problem?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Gilbo

Jim,
Thanks for a very useful photo!
I hauled out on the Clyde yesterday.
I took the opportunity to have a very close scrutiny, the only holes I could find were on the bottom edge of the mast extrusion where it meets the mounting flange? I prodded with a very small prodder!
I will take a drill and bit when I return.
I meant to take a photo but in all the excitement forgot
Really appreciate your interest in helping!
Best wishes
David Gilbertson