Forward Hatch Repair or Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

The Lewmar 65 series trapezoidal forward hatch on my 1992 has a gasket leak, needs the hinges rebuilt, and can use a lens replacement due to UV damage (microcracks).   I spoke with Pete at Florida Rigging and Hydraulic about repair options.(there are numerous posts on this forum which recommend him for Lewmar parts and repairs).  Pete suggested I consider replacing the entire hatch with a new Lewmar hatch.  I cannot recall the hatch type, but he said it was "almost" a drop-in replacement.  The corner radius might not match up and that would require some cutting of the fiberglass to make the hatch fit.  The cost of a new hatch was somewhere around $450,  and the cost of repairing my hatch is about $100 less.  I could save maybe $100 more by doing the repair myself. 

My question - has anybody installed a new hatch to replace their old series 65?  How hard was it to fit the new hatch?

Thanks,
Bob
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Bob : I wrote a number of Mainsheet tech note articles on replacing the lens and the trapezoidal hatch itself.  Of course Lewmar has a same size replacement hatch they would be willing to sell you.
There has been at least one thread on this board on this same topic.
The most economical route is to contact "Hatchmasters" for a lens change @ Select Plastics in East Norwalk CT.  (877)866-3948 or info @selectplastics.com    You'll have to send them your top hatch, but you have a full winter cover anyway.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

You might want to find out from CY how what they used to install these hatches.  I'll bet they used 5200.  If so, this would be a monumental hassle to remove.  I used Select Plastics to replace the lens.  They did a good job, although I still think the cost is pretty phenomenal.  They also replaced the dogs, which was somewhat inconvenient, because they had slightly different depths than the originals, requiring me to adjust the fixtures on the frame.  I also got replacement hinges from Lewmar.  The lot of it was pretty painless and achieved just what I wanted.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Bob K

Thanks for the replies.  My wife mailed the hatch today, so I guess the decision part is over. 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay