Oil change pump suggestions

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

It's getting close to that time of year again and I promised myself only the best way to change the oil.

I'm thinking a pump is the way to go but don't have a foggiest idea which one is a good one.

Just want to make my life easier so open to all solutions.

I guess it makes sense to reuse it for the transmission as well. 
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Jim Hardesty

I've been using one like this for years, decades maybe.  I like the no mess.  When on an extended cruise I leave the used oil in the can till I can recycle it, of course I remove the vacuum pump.  Works by sucking the oil into the can, the oil doesn't go through the pump.  I've never spilled a drop of oil with this.  Changing the filter is another story.  Which is why on the extended cruises I only change the oil and not the filter.
If you have the oil drain tube as Shamrock has need to go to a hardware store and get the fittings to go from the drain hose to a barb end to go in the suction hose.

https://www.amazon.com/America-5060TS-Topsider-Multi-Purpose-Removing/dp/B001445IZ8?crid=3QV94QFS1B6QF&keywords=air+power+oil+extractor&qid=1654790211&sprefix=air+power+oil+extractor,aps,115&sr=8-11&linkCode=sl1&tag=best-oil-extractor-20&linkId=da2e72fb670616423fe55cf782e0bf68&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

I use this from West Marine. They also make a smaller capacity one.
https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine-manual-oil-changer-6.9-quart-11047123.html
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Dave Spencer

There are two affordable ways to go:
1.  Suction extractor similar to the one Jim and Noah identified in previous posts.  I hadn't seen the brand Jim uses.  I use the commonly available Pela 6 litre extractor. 
https://ca.binnacle.com/p3291/PELA-6000-Oil-Extractor-6-Litre/product_info.html.  The suction tube on my Pela is quite small so I push it down the dipstick / fill port and wiggle it around to get the oil at the back of the oilpan that is hard to remove using the drain hose.
It's also dead easy to extract the transmission fluid using the small suction tube.

2.  Use a hand pump and dump the oil into a suitable container.  Here is one:  https://ca.binnacle.com/product_info.php?products_id=2233. The pump is significantly less expensive but it's a messier job.  They usually come with various size suction hoses so you can use a small one to suck oil out of the transmission and a larger one for a speedier job to suck oil from the engine.

I like the Pela pump but it takes up quite a bit of space if you carry it aboard.  I have both; the Pela suction extractor that I usually keep at home and bring it to the boat for the end of the season engine and transmission oil changes at our home port, and a manual pump that I carry aboard and can do an oil change if I get to 100 hrs and don't expect to be back a our home port for a while.

Choose whatever tool suits you best.  It will be money well spent.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

KWKloeber

Read this and prior posts in the thread. 
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9554.msg72059.html#msg72059
I use the same little 12v impeller pump for tranny fluid and engine oil and a whole lot more.

With garden hose thread ports, it's easy peazy to make up any sort of suction hose you need for whatever purpose - to pipe thread if pulling from an oil pan drain hose - or silicone tubing to slip 1/4" vinyl tubing inside of, then a 1/8" poly tubing wand to suck from the dipstick and tranny.  Plus, it's multipurpose -- a diesel transfer pump, a washdown pump, a seawater cooling pump in a pinch, etc. 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

pby : Oil change pumps are Like Anchors, Batteries, Synthic vrs regular Engine Oil and Sail Makers - every body has their favorite!! 

I like the 12V battery operated suction pump.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteJust want to make my life easier so open to all solutions.

A lot of good suggestions to think about.  One other thing to consider is recycling the used oil.  My club has a recycling tank that I can just pour the used oil into.  Easy.  I guess one question you want to ask yourself.  Do you want to put the used oil into jugs or have a dedicated system that holds the used oil?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : Jim has a good point!! 

My 12V electric "sucking the oil out" has a large bucket that allows me to put a short 1 gal. used milk bottle inside.  So I suck out the old oil into that milk bottle.  Then put aa cap on the bottle and take it to recycle.  I put "chair tips" on the suck out hose and the discharge into the bottle hose so there is NO MESS!!   :thumb:

With the M25XP B and the M35 BC engines with the discharge oil in the rear of the oil pan - I also take that hose and lay it down under the engine so any residual oil will flow into a shallow catch pan.  That way I get ALL of the old oil out of the engine.

After I put in the new oil and run the engine for a minute or two - I can pull out the dipstick and see CLEAN oil!!  :clap

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on September 16, 2023, 04:02:37 AM
QuoteJust want to make my life easier so open to all solutions.

A lot of good suggestions to think about.  One other thing to consider is recycling the used oil.  My club has a recycling tank that I can just pour the used oil into.  Easy.  I guess one question you want to ask yourself.  Do you want to put the used oil into jugs or have a dedicated system that holds the used oil?
Jim

Ah! Excellent question.  I would say my preference would be into a container that I can then dispose of. 

I can work with a self contained option, but you need to dump it into a container to get rid of it eventually.

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 16, 2023, 09:54:03 AM
Guys : Jim has a good point!! 

My 12V electric "sucking the oil out" has a large bucket that allows me to put a short 1 gal. used milk bottle inside.  So I suck out the old oil into that milk bottle.  Then put aa cap on the bottle and take it to recycle.  I put "chair tips" on the suck out hose and the discharge into the bottle hose so there is NO MESS!!   :thumb:

With the M25XP B and the M35 BC engines with the discharge oil in the rear of the oil pan - I also take that hose and lay it down under the engine so any residual oil will flow into a shallow catch pan.  That way I get ALL of the old oil out of the engine.

After I put in the new oil and run the engine for a minute or two - I can pull out the dipstick and see CLEAN oil!!  :clap

A few thoughts

What make/model do you have Ron?  I'm intrigued!  I found this on Amazon.ca.  Seems ok.  https://www.amazon.ca/MEDAS-Portable-Electric-Transfer-Removal/dp/B093PNH36S/ref=sr_1_8?crid=RXX9UG8NLVNM&keywords=12%2Bv%2Bpony%2Bpump&qid=1694996530&s=hi&sprefix=12%2Bv%2Bpoy%2Bpump%2Ctools%2C119&sr=1-8&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.b06bdbbe-20fd-4ebc-88cf-fa04f1ca0da8&th=1

KWKloeber

Quote from: pbyrne on September 17, 2023, 05:29:03 PM

I found this on Amazon.ca.  Seems ok.  https://www.amazon.ca/MEDAS-Portable-Electric-Transfer-Removal/dp/B093PNH36S/ref=sr_1_8?crid=RXX9UG8NLVNM&keywords=12%2Bv%2Bpony%2Bpump&qid=1694996530&s=hi&sprefix=12%2Bv%2Bpoy%2Bpump%2Ctools%2C119&sr=1-8&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.b06bdbbe-20fd-4ebc-88cf-fa04f1ca0da8&th=1

How did you determine that it is "ok"?   That pump is essentially the one Horror Fright sells (for le$$.)  It is the flexible impeller TYPE that I describe in my post (with a link to the old message) but is not the quality pump I have.  The problem with that pump is beware of the unknown availability of parts.

If you buy that one or the HF version, make sure that a replacement impeller can be sourced or if it matches the Little Giant pump impeller/gasket that is readily available.

I should have gotten a pic of my setup (chrome Teel pump, predecessor of the Little Giant pump) but didn't.  I added an inline snap switch (bolted to the base of the pump) and a 12v plug so do not use the battery clips. 

The marina doesn't have recycling so everything dirty (2' of used 1/4" vinyl hose and 18" or so of 1/8" poly tubing) goes into the gallon jug with the spent (oil or tranny) fluid.  I store it in a plastic hinged shoebox with extra hose and poly.  Very easy peazy.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain