propane solenoid problem

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

The propane system worked last Fall. Plenty of fuel...tank valve open, but solenoid switch doesn't have power and (reset? small button) won't hold in. I did disconnect house bank to rebuild battery bench but all the other dc systems seem to be working. Just no light when I turn on switch, and no propane flowing to my stove. Anyone know where to test for dc current to switch? Iv'e tried several poles but nothing. I can't find the actual solenoid, though I know it has to be between tank and stove.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Porchhound

Here are the photos
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Porchhound

Second photo

Porchhound

There is continuity between the two red wires on what I assume is a reset switch...just no power and no separate circuit breaker I can locate...or remember from last year when we bought the boat.

Noah

The solenoid should be inside the propane tank box right next to the tank.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Do some troubleshooting with your multi meter.
Determine which of the red wires is the feed to the switch and which is the feed to the solenoid.
If you've got voltage to the switch, just bypass it and send voltage directly to the solenoid and see if it opens.  If it does then you most likely have a bad switch.

If you don't have power to the switch, then start hunting backwards in the feed circuit to determine if you've got a blown fuse or breaker somewhere.

Does the owners manual wiring schematic show the propane circuit?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Porchhound

Propane locker was added by PO and the solenoid isn't in there. No wires in the box either. I'll keep looking. Tracing down wiring harness looking for inline fuse. There is no power to the switch.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Porchhound on July 21, 2023, 12:55:42 PM
Propane locker was added by PO and the solenoid isn't in there. No wires in the box either. I'll keep looking. Tracing down wiring harness looking for inline fuse. There is no power to the switch.

The solenoid MUST be located the first thing off the tank and vented with the locker/tank.  Otherwise it's unsafe so you best have a professional resolve that.

Seeing how the PO did the stove plumbing the switch was probably wired into another breaker/fuse at the panel, or just tapped off of another nearby source like lights or whatever.  Maybe a source that you have turned off?

PS: It might help others help you if you put the boat/engine/etc info into the signature or side panel info.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Porch : Test the rocker switch!! I had mine go bad and got a replacement switch !!

You best find that solenoid!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Porchhound

OKAY!!! The issue was a PO had tied the 12v pwr into the cabin am/fm radio toggle switch. Tracing those wires through that spaghetti tangle with these 75yr old eyes was a challenge. The solenoid is hidden neatly behind the canister in a little cabinet which I now realize I need to vent.

Thanks to all for your assistance!

KWKloeber