Head diverter valve confusion

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

From what I can research, this is a whale valve, but the PO indicated the current position would pump overboard instead of tank. There are no arrows to indicate whether the short or long end of the handle indicates flow.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

robbjd

Direction of handle indicates path of flow. As pictured, flow is through the horizontal hoses, overboard. If handle is turned 90* flow will be through the white horizontal hose down through the vertical hose to the holding tank
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Porchhound

The black hose to the right goes to the holding tank, white goes overboard as explained to me. The other white hose comes up from the head.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Ron Hill

Porch : Only you know what is on the other side of where the black hose goes into!!  But, as mentioned the direction of the handle points to the direction of the flow!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Porchhound

Actually, Ron, it's not that simple on this whale diverter. When the handle is parallel to those two hoses int's not a flow-thru like you'd think. The long end of the handle points to the direction of flow, so it's always parallel. If I turn it 90deg nothing pumps beyond that diverter. It took a few hours of searching before I found the answer on an Ericson site, and that guy had to email Attwood (Whale pumps) to get an answer...odd setup.

Thanks for your response.

Breakin Away

Glad you found your answer.

I can't help but think of the old Yogi Berra quote: "When you get to the fork in the road, take it." 🤣

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

pbyrne

Quote from: Porchhound on July 18, 2023, 04:35:41 PM
Actually, Ron, it's not that simple on this whale diverter. When the handle is parallel to those two hoses int's not a flow-thru like you'd think. The long end of the handle points to the direction of flow, so it's always parallel. If I turn it 90deg nothing pumps beyond that diverter. It took a few hours of searching before I found the answer on an Ericson site, and that guy had to email Attwood (Whale pumps) to get an answer...odd setup.

Thanks for your response.

Actually looking at the design that makes sense.  It has to be a 90 degree angle in the valve, and the hoses are 180 degress appart.  You have to rotate a full 180 to create a connection to the other hose.  90 degress will just close it.

Huh! Learned something.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534