Marble or solid surface

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

I was planning on installing a solid surface for the galley and bathroom countertops. I had a vendor that very graciously offered to put marble tops in the boat at a price no one would refuse. This marble is only 15/16 thick so it not as heavy as a full 1.5 thick countertop. I am wondering if anyone has ever done this, and does anyone think the weight might be an issue. For the galley top marble to solid surface is a difference of 70 lbs, the bathroom would be about 20lbs difference. 
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Noah

I wouldn't use marble. It is very porous and soft stone and will stain easily. Corian/solid surface-type material is more commonly used on boat countertops but it's heavy.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Phil Spicer

Just a thought, offset the c34 port list with the heavier solid surface in the galley. See how the boat sits before doing the head. If the weight of the solid surface would take out the list you may want to rethink adding more weight
back on the port side. (But I know my admiral would want everything to match.)
If you stay with new Formica in the head you may find a good deal at a local cabinet shop.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

waughoo

I second the concern with marble.  It is not as impervious as other choices.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte