Anchor light fixture

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris@Slocum

An anyone explain how to open the fixture for bulb change? The boat Le a1988.
Thanks,
Chris Slocum

Jim Hardesty

QuoteAn anyone explain how to open the fixture for bulb change?

Sorry, not without seeing it.  I'm assuming the mast is up and you are trying to do off a bosun chair.  Mostly they open one of two ways.  Press down and turn counterclockwise or 3 screws in a bezel around the lens.  Not easy to do off a bosuns chair, can't get high enough and end up working by feel overhead.  Add to that the plastic may be sun damaged and break easy.  Not an easy job.
If the mast is up, I suggest checking all the wires and switches you can for voltage, if no joy, then hire a professional rigger to work at the mast head.  The rigger will have experience and ways to reach the mast head.  Or if you have access to a mast crane unstep the mast and do it on the ground.  My club does, a couple of phone calls and a case of beer will get a mast up or down, just expect to return the favor.  If the rigging hasn't been inspected in the last few years, it's time to give it a proper look over.   Think rigger.
You may consider doing as I have and next time the mast is down add a couple of folding steps to the mast high enough to get above the mast head.  Get lifted on the bosuns chair and step up on the steps to work.
Sorry I didn't give you the simple answer you were looking for.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Chris : Always give your hull number in your post so we can best answer your quarry!!

There is no way anyone can answer that question unless you can tell us what that anchor light fixture looks like. The original light for the 1988 C34s was a half dome that had 2 screws on each side.  The probability that you still have the same fixture (after ??? number of previous owners and years) is slim !!

I can warn you that when you go to remove that fixture that the wire from the base of your mast (keel stepped) is tied to that top of the mast thru bolt (to hold the weight of the wire) !!  Just hope that the factory left you enough wire from that knot to the fixture - to work with!!  You just might have to pull the mast!!!   :shock:

Good luck -  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: Chris@Slocum on May 29, 2023, 08:01:54 PM
An anyone explain how to open the fixture for bulb change? The boat Le a1988.
Thanks,
Chris Slocum

On mine the clear lens unscrews.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Ron Hill

Chris : The ONLY way you are going to find out what kind of anchor light fixture you have  - is to take a trip up the mast!!    :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788