Dorade and Vents

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy Gold

I lost one of my vents and can not find the right replacement. I have a Nicro Marine NF 27200 rain trap with a male end but all the vents seem to have male ends also.
1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

Stu Jackson

Same thing happened to me in 2011.  I couldn't find the original Vetus replacements, so I got two new different manufacturer's whole units.  I wrote a tech note in 2005 about it with details.

https://c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Aug_2005.pdf
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

I just replaced my Nicro vent boxes (cowls were LONG gone before I boght the boat) with Vetus TBoxes and Chinook cowls.  They look quite nice now that they are in place!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

I gave up on the dorades quite awhile ago, I found them a pain to keep clean, I don't think they move much air, and they have a tendency to foul the jib sheets when tacking, occasionally popping off so you had to chase them over the deck before they could find their way over the side.

I replaced them with solar vents, with their fans they probably move a little more air, they streamline the deck, and they're zero maintenance. I have seen a couple of C34s on my gangway who removed the dorades altogether and covered the holes with a sheet of plastic.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

waughoo

Quote from: scgunner on April 13, 2021, 07:30:26 AM
I have seen a couple of C34s on my gangway who removed the dorades altogether and covered the holes with a sheet of plastic.

Well... that is certainly ONE option.  :D
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Buddy Gold

Did you find a particular vent that was the exact match to replace the dorade.
Universal 35 BC

waughoo

I went with a full new setup (vetus TBox and Chinook vents).  The install calls for a larger deck penetration than what is there, but i decided i wasnt up fro drilling a larger hole there.  Mine fit nicely on the deck boss and look to me quite nice. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Buddy Gold

Is there any sort of water trap?  Looks nice
Universal 35 BC

waughoo

There is a stainless cap that goes over the deck mounted "tripod" looking thing.  That stainless cap can be raised or lowered to increase or decrease ventilation.  The cap allows the water to shed over the vent and run out under the dorade box. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte