Refitting Polonaise

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

Hi Noah,

No I haven't changed my mind but I'm not at that stage of the project yet either. I'm still waiting for the rest of my blue sea panels, I need them before I remove the original one.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Added winches to my mast today, ended up ordering the Selden mast plates, very pleased with them. Also, removed the forward gate stanchion and replaced with a non gated stanchion and a custom pad eye to use the hole left by the gated stanchion (to be used for a block that will lead my gennaker tweekers back to the cockpit). The gated stanchion that I removed is getting relocated further aft to make a gate that leads into the cockpit instead, I find that a lot more useful than one amidship.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

Logo- of all the "upgrades" I have done, there is one i have put off doing due to (perceived?) level of difficulty. That is OUTBOARD GENOA TRACKS on the toe rail. I believe these would be very beneficial. Someday, maybe 🤔
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

Hey Noah, in what situation would you use an outboard Genoa track? Mine came with outboard track on the aft end which I'm assuming were meant for spinnaker control?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

Mine did not come with any outboard tracks. Unfortunately, that was a factory upgrade. Yes, for spinnaker and gennaker as well for better genoa sheeting angle in certain wind conditions. If I install I would extend them forward so they overlap current inboard tracks quite a bit. It would also provide a hanging point for fenders, snatch blocks, and any other "BS" one might want to attach similar to if the boat had an extruded metal toe rail. Unfortunately, installing these would be a big, knuckle-busting, two-man job.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

My assumption is that with adding the powsprit and running a gennaker on a furler the conditions you speak of will be handled by it and not my Genoa, at least that's the reason I'm going thru all the trouble.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Radar/camera/antenna mount done, will be mounting it this weekend. New stern light mounted as well.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Love shiny new things  :D
New pair of secondary cockpit winches for my gennaker sheets.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

I so want this type of winch on my boat.  I have the first gen self tailing system and it doesnt grip the line too well.  It is better than NON self tailing, but that spring loaded tailer is the bees knees!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

I hear ya! Considering to upgrade the other 4 winches to the newer style.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Finally got a chance to fit the bulkhead in the nav station. Still need trim all the way around, make the cutouts for the various devices/panels, and get some hinges so that I can get behind there.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Very cool man!!  I am happy to see this coming along.  I want to revamp my Nav station panel too, but the project list is deep!!  At least I can live vicariously through your experience.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Thanks! But I'll say that I'm loosing steam, a few too many projects on the list. Kinda had to being a new boat to me but I don't recommend taking on as many projects as I did to anyone. Really hoping to get off the dock soon for my own sanity  :clap :D
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Antony...

I have the same feeling with my boat.  It has been torn apart since last October for tons of wiring upgrades, electronics installs, water leak repairs etc and I JUST got the collection of boxes that is the hydronic heater.  As the weather gets nicer, I am getting very anxious.  I think I might shelve the heater till the fall and put the boat back together.  Going to the boat is loosing a bit of its excitement as it is a complete mess. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Well that is part of the reason a community like this exists! So that we can support each other! Keep at her, one step ahead is still a step ahead!

Then we can meet on the water and check each other's boats out and steal ideas  :D
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179