Maxwell 500 windless?

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew

Anyone know if I can add a chain gypsy to my Maxwell 500? It only has a  capstan. I can't seem to find a source or if it's even possible to add. Thanks for any info! Drew
1999 34MK2 s/v Njord
Hull #1443
Poulsbo, Wa

Jim Hardesty

Shamrock has that system, gypsy and capstan, I like it.  It's a Maxwell Freedom 800  but by the manual looks to be very much like the 500. Try www.maxwellmarine.com   or my paperwork has US phone number 714-689-2900
Also if you do add the gypsy may also want a reversing switch.  See that the original owner was given a "Catalina Single direction / hence discount"  That was a while ago but never hurts to ask for a discount, was about half price.
Hope that helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

dfloeter

When we changed out our Maxwell 500 for a newer model, I tried and could not find a chain gypsy to fit.   The larger and more powerful replacement was well worth the dollars.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Drew

Thanks guys! Figured I'd have to do a full replacement!
1999 34MK2 s/v Njord
Hull #1443
Poulsbo, Wa

waughoo

Quote from: dfloeter on January 06, 2021, 08:36:27 AM
When we changed out our Maxwell 500 for a newer model, I tried and could not find a chain gypsy to fit.   The larger and more powerful replacement was well worth the dollars.

What model did you end up going with?  My mk1.5 doesn't have a windlass but it is on the "long list" to add one.  My preference would be for a factory type installation.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Lucas

I'm curious as to some of the reasoning for changing out the Maxwell 500? What would the newer 800 add?
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

Noah

The 800 series has been discontinued. I believe the closest next step for folks are using for inside anchor locker mounting on our boats is the VW 10-8.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

dfloeter

Noah is right about the VW 10-8 which is what we installed.  It has good power.  The 1000 watt motor is larger in diameter but it wasn't too hard to bore it larger with a hole saw. The other main issue was wire size.  The new windlass called for at least 2 gauge.  By just adding a second 4 gauge cable to the existing cable, the effective wire size is a bit larger than the 2 gauge and saved some cash. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

crieders

I also installed the V10-8
It's very nice and the folks who make it were amazing helpful with all of my uninformed questions. Looks very nice. Bought new chain and line to fit and will try it out this spring
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Noah

Cliff- where/what vendor/supplier did you use to purchase your VW10-8? Did you also install a reverse foot switch/solenoid. If you/anyone did, can you please post pics of install and location of "down" switch.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Drew

Quote from: Noah on January 08, 2021, 12:11:28 PM
Cliff- where/what vendor/supplier did you use to purchase your VW10-8? Did you also install a reverse foot switch/solenoid. If you/anyone did, can you please post pics of install and location of "down" switch.
looks like I'll be headed down this road as well. Any pics would be great!
1999 34MK2 s/v Njord
Hull #1443
Poulsbo, Wa