Mainsheet Magazine

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

Two questions about the Mainsheet magazine. Is anyone having issues with getting the password for download to work on the Winter 2020 issue? Next, is there an option for electronic only receiving of the magazine.

Thanks much!
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

James,

1.  I haven't received my new issue, but you should contact the publisher, Jim Holder at cv.jholder@mainsheet.net

2.  No.  Someone asked about this eons ago when Holder first started the online concept.  We explained that managing the differences for each of our individual C34IA members was additional effort with no return for the association.  Our tech editor noted that he used both the written copy and the online versions.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

I'm a new member and haven't done the online mainsheet access.  Is that somewhere easy to access?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on November 14, 2020, 07:21:07 PM
I'm a new member and haven't done the online mainsheet access.  Is that somewhere easy to access?

Sure, just go to www.mainsheet.net

Use the handy dandy "Super Secret Decoder Ring" that you should have received in your last box of Fruit Loops.

You didn't get one?

Oh, well, then, here it is:

Mainsheet code --- It's in each magazine usually on page 3.

The code is simple:

Fall, vol 33 issue #3 / password = F333
Winter, vol 33, issue #4 / password = W334

Just download and save any issue, you need the pw to open it each time, so save the pw in the filename so you don't have to figure it out each time.  Once you open it with the code, you can remove the password protection.

2020 is Volume 38
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Jim

For a while the website wasn't working (correctly anyway) when I tried it.    But it's ok now the Fall 2020 issue pops up just fine.

Alex:  the password to use at the address Stu posted is listed in the print copy. Look on pg. 3 of the Fall issue.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Thanks... I'll try it out here tomorrow.  I haven't yet recieved a print copy so I don't yet have the decoder ring :-)
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Got it!  Thanks for the help.  I look forward to my first print edition.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Alex

When you get your decoder and open/save the Fall issue (F383), one snafu is that the pdf file (not the website) is what's password protected.  So whenever you want to READ an issue, you need to use that issue's code.  Kinda PITA.

Of course, one crutch is to save the password in the file name so it's always handy -- e.g., < mainsheet.2020.fall.F383.pdf >.

But it's actually a 1-2-3 snap to remove the file protection: 
1* Simply drag the locked pdf file into a Chrome window.
2* Open it using the password.
3* Thru Chrome, print it ("Save as PDF") -- overwriting the locked file or to any filename you prefer.
Voila', the protection is removed.

BeSureToDrinkYourOvaltine
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

waughoo

KW,

Yes... the trick will be to remember which one I'm looking at to allow the proper password.  I suspect I'll end up downloading them and removing the password to save them.  That seems to be the best plan of attack for archiving.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

I suspect I'll end up downloading them .... for archiving.

Just to be clear, you have to d/l them.  I haven't been archiving many so I am SOL as far as older issues. 
(Too many monthly tasks for my brain to keep up on!) 🤦🏼