Fuel tank pick-up hose

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Tancock

Can anyone who has pulled the uptake tube in the deisel tank of a Mark I ('88 vintage) 34 tell me if it lies right on the bottom of the tank. Is it a soft tube or is it a hard tube with an angle cut across the bottom? How far is it from the bottom of the tank?

Thanks
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Stu Jackson

Fuel Tank Pickup Tube

Jeff

Ron's write up is in the May 1996 Tech Notes, either online or on your CD.  Not sure if it answers your questions, but that's these best writeup I've seen.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SteveLyle

It's a rubber tube.
Not sure if it lies on the bottom or just off of it.

Why do you ask?

BillR

Its a flexible rubber tube that either is very near or on the bottom.  In the 1988 boat there is a small mesh screen at the bottom that you want to remove - or you'll suffer all the fun that Ron describes.  The screen, particularly in warmer clinates where you get junk build up in the tank (even after treatment), gets clogged and prevents fuel flow providing you with random opportunities to get towed in.  So either remove the screeen or pay up your towing insurance.
 :)
Bill Russell

Jeff Tancock

Thanks guys. I've blown through the tube and there is no resistance. I suspect a previous owner dealt with it. I was just wondering how much fuel would be left over if I sucked it dry through the uptake tube.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp