Which Exhaust Riser to order from CD?

Previous topic - Next topic

Frasse Pelle

Hi,
I'm a new owner of a Catalina 34 1995 with M35 engine (hull 1292). The main recommendation from the survey was to change the Exhaust riser. It looks like Catalina D offers 2 exhaust risers that can fit my engine and differ only at one end that attaches to the engine flange. Part Z3055 use a normal elbow and a nipple to attach to the flange. Part Z4491 use a street elbow and therefore doesn't need a nipple.

My question is ... can I use either? if yes, what are the pros/cons of each part. If no... how to I check which one fits my engine? (remove the thermal jacket?)

Part #: Z3055
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-36/engine/exhaust-system/exhaust-riser-c-30-c-34-c-36-w-m-25xp-or-m-35/

Part #: Z4491
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-36/engine/exhaust-system/exhaust-riser-c-30-c-34-c-36-w-m-25xp-or-m-35-street-elbow/

Thanks in advance

Francois
S/V Whitecaps
Hull #1292
S/V Whitecaps - Hull #1292 - 1995

KWKloeber

I know that riser dimensions are critical on the C-30, lest we get into relocating the muffler base. 
I see that at the flange end that the
  • nipple'd riser has a 3-1/2" extension
  • street-elbow'd one has a 2-1/2" extension
I can't say whether that's critical as far as on the C34 but I'd measure carefully and determine that.
Have you checked with CTY parts for a riser?  I know that C-30ers have found a big cost difference by heading to the go-to source for many parts (the original factory.) 

Apparently, CTY doesn't supply the thermal wrap, but you can easily get that aftermarket a lot cheaper than from CD.   Or (I wonder whether it would fit w/an M35) install the water-cooled riser.
https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=C34_Exhaust_with_Water_Cooled_Riser
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Francois : I looked at both and what you are going to have to do is remove you existing riser and lay out the measurements. Then see which of the two CD risers measurements best matches your measurements!!

If you get a new hump hose get the 8" as you can always cut it shorter if need be.
Also when I got a new riser, I took it to a welding shop and had them put a bead on the INSIDE of that stake weld - that just gave it more strength. 
Make sure that the hose from the Anti-syphon valve to that nipple on the riser is nylon reinforced hose. Catalina used wire reinforced hose which is too stuff and transmits all of the engine vibes to the nipple weld - eventually cracking the weld.   

Do as Ken suggested on the insulation as the CD price is  :shock: or use the insulation from you old riser.  :thumb:

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

While the CD insulation is pricey, IIRC they won't sell you the riser without it.  I believe they say that on their website, and they told me that on the phone when I did mine 5 or so years ago.  It is good product, actually, and has a neat strap arrangement for securing the insulation.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mdidomenico

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 20, 2020, 04:02:11 PM
While the CD insulation is pricey, IIRC they won't sell you the riser without it.  I believe they say that on their website, and they told me that on the phone when I did mine 5 or so years ago.  It is good product, actually, and has a neat strap arrangement for securing the insulation.

having just purchased a new riser through them, yes this is true.  they will not sell it without the insulation.  however, the insulation does seem pretty stout over just using heat wrap tape.  and it's substantially better then the old wrap i pulled off my old riser.  is it worth the price they charge, unknown.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Roland Gendreau

When I replaced a riser a few years ago,  CTY was significantly cheaper than CD and they threw in the insulation at no additional charge. I think I had to buy a street elbow to complete the installation but I was able to get a stainless elbow on Amazon.   Frankly I was irritated at CD's policy of not selling you the riser without also selling you their expensive insulation kit.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

KWKloeber

it's substantially better then the old wrap

Both the OEM woven-type wrap and aluminized blanket type are available along with the stainless "zip ties."
If clearance allowed I'd likely do a thin (non-overlapping) wrap and then the blanket on top.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Frasse Pelle

Thanks everybody, this really helping. For the record, I did call CTY for the Riser and was quoted $285 and a leadtime of 4 weeks (no stock). So, similar pricing than CD for the exception CD request you buy their expensive (but good quality) thermal Jacket. CD has more than 10pcs in stock of both Riser variant.

So, next step is to figure which of the two part fits best, 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 extension (Thanks to KWKolbler as I did not realized the difference).

Regards,

Francois

Frasse Pelle

Ah... nothing easy. I removed the muffler riser today and it looks like I got a 3 pieces nipple'd riser similar to CD part #Z3055 (see picture). But, I do measure the extension closer to 3 inch. So, should I go with Z3055 with 3.5inch extension or Z4491 with 2.5inch extension? Or it really doesn't matter and both will work?

Ron Hill

Frasse : You should have looked at how much clearance there is between the boat structure and the riser.  That will determine which of the CD risers you should order!! 

Even put it all back together again - to get those measurements!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's right.  You are the ONLY person in the entire universe who has those parts and YOUR boat right in front of you.  We simply do not.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

captran

Quote from: Frasse Pelle on June 30, 2020, 08:22:48 PM
Ah... nothing easy. I removed the muffler riser today and it looks like I got a 3 pieces nipple'd riser similar to CD part #Z3055 (see picture). But, I do measure the extension closer to 3 inch. So, should I go with Z3055 with 3.5inch extension or Z4491 with 2.5inch extension? Or it really doesn't matter and both will work?

please post or send me a message re which riser you get and why, as I have a 97.  also, did you have to replace the exhaust flange?  and how long for various things.  think I'll have to have mine done, as I can do basic stuff but this seems over my head.  thanks.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ed Shankle

A number of years ago I had to replace my rise. CD required/requested that I send the old one to them so they could correctly match the unit as well as get all the angles correct. If they didn't do that with you, maybe ask them about doing that to insure you get exactly what you need.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Guys : At one time when Catalina made replacement risers, they wanted your old one to match!! 

Randy just be a where that Catalina makes C34s that are similar NOT exact !

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Francois

Make sure on the measurements you're looking at apples and apples. The CD site shows on the drawings where the measurements are taken from/to.

K