Ice box lid insulation

Previous topic - Next topic

mvazmina

I would have sworn I'd seen soemthing in the past, but a search didn't turn up anything. I am trying to replace the insulation around the top of the ice box. I tried faom insulation with a sicky back and that worked so-so but it made the lid stand up about 1/4 above the rest of the counter. I then tried the flat D type of insulation and silicon sealet and had a mess trying to keep it down while it dryed and then it was so narrow it wasn't holding well. I even thought stapling it down but wasn't fond of the idea  Any suggestions are appreciated.

jentine

I keep my extra chart kit in its plastic sheath atop the cooler.  It works reasonably well and the charts are always handy.  If you have electronic charts (shame on you) install an "O" ring around the top about 1/2" below the counter surface.  That should solve your leak problem.
Jim Kane

Gary Wilson

I insulated our lid with a vacuum panel from rparts.com.  These have an R value equivalent to 6" of polystyrene.  I have not tried to measure its performance, but one of the best improvements is it is thin enough (1") to allow a milk jug to sit upright.
     Rparts.com is also a good technical resource for refrigeration systems and insulation.

pklein

When I leave the boat I put the square personal flotation cushions on top of the lid.  They do a nice job of insulating and there couldn't be anything easier to do.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago

lgaydos

Mike -
Are you talking about the 1/2" square dense foam that lines the inside perimeter of the top of the icebox that the lid sits on? I'm having the same problem trying to find an appropriate replacement - mine's gotten dirty and gross. Any type of insulation I've seen in Home Depot-types is too thin. I'd like to remove, clean and reinstall mine if possible - any suggestions for re-attaching the insulation once cleaned? I'll let you know if it works. THANKS...linda

mvazmina

Thanks for all the ideas. I was able to get some stick on 1/4 insulation at Lowes that seems to be helping. I am still getting frost ,but only about 1/2 as much. One suggestion, the foam insulation I got was in a roll with slick paper on the side to be exposed. I left the slick paper on for the lid to sit on at it seems to hold up better.

Finally, something for the boat that works for less than $2