Catalina Direct Bimini

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Carter

Hi All,

Looking for a bimini for my 34, I've seen the Catalina Direct one on their site I'm wondering if anyone has direct experience with it. What do you think?

Thanks
Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.
SV Ripple Catalina 34 #360

mark_53

I have purchased several products from CD and have not been disappointed. Several canvas products included. I would trust them to provide a quality bimini.  Just make sure you get the measurements and color right. Likely not returnable.

Stu Jackson

Jim, one of the more important issues related to biminis is the support frame.  This includes, of course, the materials, the size of the tubes and the height.  The way the frames are located, any straps needed to support it and their locations, are critical to the success or failure of the entire structure.  I've read plenty of stories where skippers end up hating their biminis because straps get in the way of boarding, or the whole structure is too flimsy.  Shop wisely.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

I always advise using a good local canvas shop to do any jobs that require fitting, such as dodgers or a bimini.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Alex and Stacey Walter

I used them for my previous Catalina 30 and it did not go so well. I had to have the canvas altered with the addition of zippers by a local person to go around the backstay. In retrospect, if I had known about the local person before placing my order with Catalina Direct, I would have preferred to have them do the work in the first place.
1988 Catalina 34 Mk I
Kansas

mregan

I bought one from the catalinaowners.com website a couple of years ago and am pleased with it.  I bought the rail mount bimini.  No straps, all rigid tubing. My local canvas guy said it was a pretty good deal for the price and good quality.

Jim Carter

Well thanks everyone, good info I think I'll go with someone local.  8)

Jim Carter

Quote from: mregan on May 19, 2017, 05:32:15 PM
I bought one from the catalinaowners.com website a couple of years ago and am pleased with it.  I bought the rail mount bimini.  No straps, all rigid tubing. My local canvas guy said it was a pretty good deal for the price and good quality.

Regardless of my post below, I'll check these folks out thanks.

anon

I want to install a bimini and dodger. Can somebody recommend a good dodger? Do I need to take measurements or do manufacturers know the dimensions of a MK 1 34?
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Ron Hill

Sophie : The local canvas shop will take all the measurements.
What you need to decide is the height of the dodger - do you want to see over it or under it???  So both you and your crew need to decide. 
Also I'd recommend that you get a hand rail installed on the back side toward the helm as well as hand holds on each side of the dodger.

A local Canvas shop can do it all and make all the necessary adjustments after it's up.  But, a production dodger is yours and you have to do the adjustments - after the fact.  I'd recommend - GO LOCAL!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Sophie on May 21, 2017, 11:41:44 AM
I want to install a bimini and dodger. Can somebody recommend a good dodger? Do I need to take measurements or do manufacturers know the dimensions of a MK 1 34?

Sophie,

There are two basic choices one must make re: dodgers & biminis.  Buy from a reputable mass production company as noted in earlier comments.  Or buy locally.

The difference is usually between price vs. flexibility and the ability of the local shop to measure and make minor adjustments.  It's alike choosing a sail maker.

Ron is right about the features.

You might be interested in this:

Dodger Height 101 with Pictures and Links

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7161.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anon

That's a greta link. Thank you Stu.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

mregan

I'd buy local with the dodger.  Like I mentioned above, you could go mass production on the bimini.  I think the bimini is a bit more forgiving if you don't get the measurements exact.   Whereas if your dimensions are off with the dodger, it's much harder to get it to work correctly.  I screwed up the dimensions a bit on my bimini on my C-30 but by modifying the frame a bit I was able to get it to work.   Learned from my mistakes when ordering my C-34 bimini.
I'd also recommend a joiner piece between the dodger and bimini.  Helps quite a bit with the shading in the cockpit when installed.

Ron Hill

Sophie : On a Bimini you also have to make some decisions. 

The height - above the backstay split? or below?  Look at a connecting piece to the dodger - a window in that connector? or solid and not sail with it up?  How far back (aft) do you want it to extend??  The color?  light so it's cooler!? or darker so it doesn't show dirt and bird droppings!!  Bimini bows connected to/on the deck combing or attached to the stern pushpit rails??

So start thinking!!!

A few thoughts  :D
Ron, Apache #788

anon

Thanks Ron. Great questions and ones that I will dwell upon.
I am not in too much of a hurry. I have until next spring before I am ready to move to my boat and hopefully start cruising the California coast.
I would like to add solar panels to the Dodger / Bimini framework. I am a design engineer so I could design my own frame if I can figure out good attachment points and what I need. A good start would be a 3D CAD model or a drawing from which I can make a 3D model. I saw a picture of a Dodger hard top that looked compelling.
Thanks again.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP