swim platform added

Previous topic - Next topic

patrice

Hi All,

Having a C34 MKI, the acces not always easy from the dinghy, I'd like to had some kind of swim platform.
Being on a mooring, getting everything in the boat would be better.

I'd like to have something not big, just enough to stand.

Does some of you did this addition on their boat, and if you have pictures, that would be great.

Thanks.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Kevin Henderson

Patrice,

I feel your pain not having an accesable platform at the stern of the boat.  I had once seen a MK-I with an added platform.  To be honest, I was not entirely sold on the look or the functionality of it.  I'm not certain how well it could hold up to the stress.  I'm certain it caould be done however.
That being said... If it was my boat I would consider adding the Garhauer outboard davit mounted on the stern rail.  With the modification made to it as described in the Tech Wiki, it makes handling the raising and lowering of the davit lines a breeze while sitting in a dighy at water level. By using the davit you could hoist up and swing groceries, supplies etc. into the boat eaier than standing in the dinghy but probably not as easily as stepping onto a platform. 
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

patrice

HI,

I would like something like this, about 12 to 14in. max deep.
Stainless tube frame with teak plank inside.
Keep the 2 steps to get in cockpit.
just have to figure a new way for the swim ladder.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

This messgae board has a very powerful search engine.

I typed in swim platform and found this, for example, in the top four or five posts.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4456.15.html

And another one with a slightly different approach that addresses your concerns about the ladder:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5639.0.html

Please, try the search feature and read some more, too.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Defender and West Marine sell a number of nice ladders that are made for mounting on swim platforms.  So that's the easy part once you figure out how to do the platform.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Pat : I remember publishing an article in the late 1990s in the Mainsheet tech notes (with picture) from an owner that installed a swim platform on a MKI.
Ron, Apache #788

patrice

Thanks for the info.

Stu, the issue sometimes with the search engine, is that in older threads, often people have remove the pictures from their sites.

Roc, nice step, that could work, but would prefer the platform.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

Patrice
I built a swim platform last year on my C-30.  Had some SS tubing laying around so I welded up a frame.   I used Trex (composite decking) for the platform.  It was inexpensive compared to teak.  Bolted it through the transom and added 1/8" ss cables.  One end of the cable bolted to the platform other side wrapped around the backstays.  Helps take the weight when someone was on the platform.  If I had kept the boat, I would have removed the Trex and installed some new Trex but shape it more to flow with the boat.  I was rushing to get the platform completed before I put it in the water last season so I just cut some straight pieces and screwed them on the frame.  Didn't like the way it struck straight off the boat.
Couple of things I would do differently if making another.  Would try to have some supports underneath so I could get rid of the cables.  Also, would mount it when the boat was in the water.  The platform was level on land, unfortunately the boat wasn't.  I had figured for this but not enough so the platform sloped down slightly.
It was great having the platform to get in and out of the dinghy and when the kids were swimming.  They usually fight on the ladder so it was nice one could be on the platform while the owner was on the ladder.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: patrice on April 10, 2013, 06:38:51 AM
Thanks for the info.
Stu, the issue sometimes with the search engine, is that in older threads, often people have remove the pictures from their sites.

Patrice, the way this board works is that if someone has posted the photo, it STAYS here.  Most folks post to the board, rather than linking to their own 'sites as some other boards do.  I trust the links I provided had the photos, too, right?

You're right about the "older" threads, because the "first generation" of the software for this board, and some links to the older posts, no longer work.  However, that was for a short period, few photos had been posted then, and the search I did included the links I provided within the first five or six topics that came up.

Good luck on your planning, you certainly now have some good options. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

Dang,  hearing all this and seeing the photos, I think I would like a swim platform now.  :think :shock:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

waterdog

Quote from: Kevin Henderson on April 10, 2013, 09:00:37 AM
Dang,  hearing all this and seeing the photos, I think I would like a swim platform now.  :think :shock:

Go with "platforms".   You can keep the original ladder nicely integrated with your rail and a split down the middle.    You climb straight up into your cockpit with no awkward transition over a platform that sticks out.    Plus your marina is less likely to notice the extra length and add it to your bill...

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

TonyP

QuotePlus your marina is less likely to notice the extra length and add it to your bill...
Gee ... I hope our marina doesn't realise that our 34 isn't really a 34 as it is. At $20.00 a ft/mth I hope they don't.

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

patrice

Hi All,

Thanks for the ideas and pictures.
Thanks MRegan for the inputs, good points.

Here are some support sold by Defender that would make a good base, and work something from this.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1/10391/299235&id=2131949
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Brent Evans

Here's my solution to a swim platform.  Dinghy boarding is now easy and safe.  I added a collapsible drop-down ladder under the platform for safety.